cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Broadband speed

Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes? This would either be a HG633 or the 3782 router.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Whichever you think is better as long as there's NO CHARGE!

Have just had to emergency shutdown my PC after the fancy upgraded TT mail caused it to freeze.  It was at a snail's pace and then long periods doing nothing at all. An utter disgrace!

Let me know if I should hang on to the older router for comparison or bin it / return it.

Now  switching PC back on in the hope that it has recovered from that trauma....!

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi

Router on the way.  I would keep hold of the old router for now, just for comparison.

Thanks

Karl. 

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Thanks  I'll send feedback once it's installed.  Yet more massive Windows 10 updates today may have contributed to crawling along this morning.  They seem to be having a busy month of them!

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Just received the new router  - I'll plug it in after I've finished today's tasks, in case of problems.

I see it calls itself "super router". I did ask that there be no charge for the router that you chose to send. Please check and confirm that there will be no charge as requested, because I see that sometimes this is not the case. Very grateful if this is indeed the latest thing with no charge!

This is the most up to date batch of my stats with the OLD router, just for the record: 

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:

628:59:58
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:

269:20:39
Interleaving:

On
ADSL mode:

ADSL2+
ADSL settings:

PVC:0/38
ADSL line speed (kbps):

up

down

Line attentuation (dB):

up

down

SN margin (dB):

up

down

Total errors seconds:

Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

It seems to be an HG635, which Michelle told a customer over two years ago that TalkTalk had stopped supplying......

Um, ....No danger of being charged for this one!

I will see how I get on.

Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Why have you supplied me with a router that has been obsolete for years and which you withdrew in favour of the HG633?

You do not value customers of 12 years. I am absolutely disgusted at your attitude. 

My contract expires in a few months and I will hope to have time and fewer family crises happening then to look around at your competitors. 

I can understand you not sending me the latest thing, but there were good reasons for this product being withdrawn. 

Really upset. 

Gliwmaeden2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gliwmaeden2 

Lucky you if TT has sent an HG635 - best super router TT ever supplied. And far from obsolete.

HG633 was a "cheap" replacement for the HG635 which has a better spec..

I'm still running an HG635 and I believe the HG635 is the router of choice that TT's Business unit supplies.

TT Residential seem to have limited stocks of these routers and hand them out very sparingly - so you are obviously one of the "chosen few".

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Thanks for the reassurance, @Anonymous . Maybe I overreacted, but am rather tired and tearful in among the family crises and trying to redecorate every room in the house.  I will give myself a couple of weeks to try out the new router, as there will be a chunk of time when everything will be completely unplugged and inaccessible anyway. 

If you have any tips or tricks regarding the router I will really appreciate your passing them on. It looks as though it is fundamentally just plug in and play but I understand it may have 2 channels or something.  Best to start just with its default settings?

Thank you for cheering me up a bit!

Gliwmaeden2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi -

The HG635 is very much plug and play - no different to installing an HG633 or DSL-3782. Like those other devises there are 2 radio challels, 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz - so no difference there.

One tip (sorry if this is egg sucking) but when I change routers (and I've tried all the residential routers that TT supply) - I find it best to change the wireless SSIDs and password on the new router to be the same as those on the old router. That way you don't have to go round changing all your devices.

But (sorry there has to be a but), looking at your router stats your performance isn't particularly bad for a downstream attentuation of 32.0 dB. If everything were perfect (and it never is) you could only expect just over 13 Mbps, so getting 12 Mbps is reasonably good.

If I have read your posts correctly you say you are running Windows 10 on an 8.5 year old pc. That could cause some issues (unless it has been upgraded, particularly for memory).

EDIT - I may have misinterpretted the Win 10 reference - but 8.5 years old would still possible need upgrades to maintain performance.

Wireless performance can always be a bit hit and miss, but best to worry about that after you have sorted out the general broadband performance.

But at the end of the day it is only broadband - chill out - you seem to have enough other things far more important to worry about.

Good luck.

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Thanks @Anonymous. My old router is the HG533 not 633, so the fact of having 2 channels is something I  am not used to. 

I'm putting the issue on hold for now  - router carefully stored - as the decorator now needs access to the relevant rooms ......

I will start investigating in May, when it will be much more practical. Thanks for your help so far, @OCE_Karl , @OCE_Michelle  and @OCE_Chris .

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2

Ok no problem, just post back on this thread and we will carry on with our investigations.

Thanks

Debbie

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One
Have finally plugged in the new router. These are the stats (bottom of post) from within the first hour. Much of this time was spent trying to find this thread again. I could only reach it by looking back through "notifications" rather than "subscriptions", and it is also very difficult to search through on the Broadband section of the forum as you can't plug in a range of dates or whatever. A separate issue for the forum technicians to look into sometime?

Anyway, so far not a huge difference in the stats from the old router. I haven't fiddled with any settings other than to alter the Super Router Password as advised when you first sign in with "admin".

Probably early days yet, so I will post again after things have been on for several days and I also need to check that this router is reaching my smartphone.

Thanks!

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
ADSL2+
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Downstream interleave depth:
None
DSL up-time:
Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Looking back on my speed test results on my smartphone  (not your tester) the speeds for downloads have held pretty well at c 10Mbps for the past couple of months, since I started mentioning that I had noticed a slower speed. In March I had been getting consistent 7 and 8 Mbps.

10 is good enough for most things I do, but well below the readings I would get SEVERAL YEARS AGO when ordinary Simple Broadband delivered in the mid-teens!

Worth seeing if there's an ongoing improvement with this new router.  I got a  better upload reading just now,  which will be appreciated if it is sustained longterm. 

My contract comes up for renewal in a couple of months' time....! Hoping to stay put to save hassles, so I will be looking at performance issues, as well as pricing and customer service issues.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Thanks for keeping us updated. The sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, was this last speed test wired or wireless?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One
The stats I posted were at my computer, connected by ethernet.
Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Thanks for confirming this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The only thing that I can see is that at times the SNR is dropping a bit low. Could you run a wired ping and trace route and post the results into the thread please.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One
Were you running a line check about 5 mins ago? The phone went dead and internet dropped out!

I hope it was a test!
Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One
Just spotted your message. I'll run a test later today - pupil exams to support this morning and teaching till after 8.15pm so the computer won't be switched on at all before then. Thanks for checking the line.
Gliwmaeden2