would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor broadband speed since thunderstorm about 2 months ago

17 REPLIES 17
stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi all,

We had a thunderstorm near my house about 2 months ago. After that our daughter has complained about slow upload speeds on and off but I did nothing to see if it would improve. It hasn't so I raised a complaint with TalkTalk and so far they keep saying there is no issue with the line, have sent out a new micro-filter (no improvement) and are now insisting on an engineer visit.

We have not changed anything in our setup so I do not think this visit will help. We have had hardly any issues with our service and normally get good download speeds (around 15Mbit/s) and upload has usually been acceptable.

At the moment our download speed is just over 10Mbit/s (which is terrible) and upload is around 240kbit/s

We have not had a good connection since I raised my complaint.

We are only about 300 yards from the exchange so should have a great connection.

It feels like our "profile"has been changed for some reason and the service is not acceptable.

Please could somebody check our line?

Thanks,

Steve

ferguson
Community Star

Have you noticed any issues with your landline service at all, such as background noise? And if you have a test socket at your master socket have you tried connecting there?

Subject to that the online support team will gladly look into this for, if you haven't done so already make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account. Bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday.

stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi ferguson,

Thanks for responding. We have been through the line check with the router plugged into the test socket and they said there were no issues with the line (I don't believe it).

There is no noise on our telephone landline.

We haven't changed anything internally for a long time and normally have a good service but since the storm (coincidentally I had also resigned my contract with TalkTalk at around the same time) our service has been pretty poor.

My gut feeling says there is something wrong at the exchange but they insist that it is "internal" which I very much doubt.

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can I just check if you have also tested with a different router? I can then escalate this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Sadly I do not have a spare router to test with. I only have the TalkTalk router currently connected.

I have removed the extra telephone extension (makes no difference) so only the router and main telephone are plugged in.

Our current download speed is just over 10 Mbit/s but only because I rebooted the server as it had dropped to 6 Mbit/s even though this morning at 8am it was 12 Mbit/s! Upload is still 248 Kbit/s

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

I think that would be a good idea.

I would also like to stop the engineer visit that was forced onto me for this Friday. Is that something you can do?

Also, we are going on holiday on Saturday for two weeks so unless the router can be delivered by Wednesday, I am not sure how much testing can be done?

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can cancel this visit.

I will also send the router, this will take 24-48hrs to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

PM sent. I will plug the router in as soon as I get it.

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for the Private Message.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

I have also asked our Network Team to cancel the engineer visit.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

stevechale
Popular Poster

Thanks Debbie.

I will follow up once the new router is plugged in.

Cheers,

Steve

Community Team
stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

The router has arrived (thanks) and I have carried out some tests this morning.

All of these are into the master socket not the test socket.

Original router first thing: Upload: 248 kbit/s, Download: 9.2 Mbit/s

Original router rebooted: Upload: 251 kbit/s, Download: 9.2 Mbit/s

New router, same cable: Upload: 251 kbit/s, Download: 9.2 Mbit/s

New router, new cable and filter: 251 kbit/s, Download: 9.2 Mbit/s

So it seems that the router is not at fault or the cable from the socket to the router.

Again, my suspicions are that our service seems to be "throttled" at source.

Please let me know what you would like me to do next. I am working from home again so I can't just unplug from the network instantly but will tray my best to do what is required!

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for keeping us updated. I've optimised the connection and the sync speed has increased to 16mb.

Please let us know how the connection/speed compares over the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Wow that is so much better! Thanks a lot.

I will keep watch on it and will follow up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

Community Team
stevechale
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Our router was rebooted during the night (3:45 am) but thankfully the connection speed is the same as yesterday (16MB download 1.1 MB upload) so it seems it is stable.

We are away for a couple of weeks so I will follow up when we get back.

Thanks again for your speedy and effective response to our predicament.

Cheers,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks