would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poorly Router

65 REPLIES
Highlighted
Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Hi,  had an Openreach  engineer in today, to sort out our Fast fibre broadband fault.

It seems the Huawei HG633 has died.

Not been back with Talktalk long, so a bit disappointed. 

Can any OCEs let me know what the next step is? Will Talktalk send us a new one?

Kind regards 

Trevor. 

Community Team

Hi Trevor

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've ordered a replacement router and returns bag, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Thanks Debbie, that's great. Thank you.

I hope the connection is better with the new router. The one we have is practically dead. The power light just glows Red then back to green. It does nothing else. Tried resetting it. It's lifeless.

I had read reviews on the HG633 router, on how poor it is. Didn't expect ours to fail so soon.

Lets hope this isn't the start of a trend..  Quiet face

OMG! Bank holiday. We're not going to get it until next week. The kids are driving me nuts already!  loud crying face

Trevor.  

Community Team

Hi Trevor

Apologies for this.

The router may arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Please let me know once this router is connected and I will update the firmware version.

Thanks

Debbie

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Replacement router won't be here until Tuesday.  Not happy about that. 

I'm going to look into a third party router to see us through. Hopefully a replacement might be a better option, due to the bad reviews of the hg633. 

The Hg633 sounds like an awful router from what I've been reading. I don't want to be going through this every other month.

Trev. 

Community Team

Hi Trevrev,

Could you let us know once you've received the replacement router and we can check to see if the router also has the latest version of firmware which has both wireless and stability improvements.

Thanks

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle. I went out and purchased a third party router on Saturday. Just because I wanted to be up and running again.

It's running like a dream at the moment.

When my kids get back from their camping weekend and hit the PS4s, I'll see how stable the third party router is.

The Talktalk hg633 was always dropping out when they were on their consols. Makes me wonder if it was always faulty.

If the router I'm using now works ok under full usage, I'll probably stick with it and keep the Talktalk one as a back up.

Community Team

Hi Trevrev

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Will do Debbie.

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

With me using a third party router, where do I stand with regards to support?

Also, what is the maximum speed i'm able to get from my line? Is that something you can check for me? My speed with the old Talktalk router that packed up and with my new router is around 21mbps. Can this be improved?

Sorry..........All these questions!

Due to me being at work, I missed delivery of my replacement Talktalk router. 

I've noticed that I started this thread in the Broadband section rather than the Fibre Broadband section. Doh!

Trev.

Community Team

Hi Trev

You will still receive technical support if you're using your own router.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 40 and 30mb with a guaranteed minimum speed of 27.4mb.

Your line is currently in sync at 23.9mb. Please can you leave your router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting. We can then check to see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Ok Debbie, I'll get back to you in a couple of days.

Community Team

Hi Trev

Thank you, if you post back on this thread on Thursday then I can check the connection stats again.

Debbie

Trevrev
Wizz Kid
Will do.. :-)
Community Team
Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Good Morning.

Is there a chance of checking connection stats again please.

I'm still getting speeds hovering between 18 to 23mb. Using the Talktalk speed checker.

No real difference between being wired or Wi-Fi.

Be nice to get to the 27mb I'm guaranteed! ( Or above! Wink )

Thanks..........Trev. 

Community Team

Hi Trevrev,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the sync speed hasn't increased, however I can see a few re-connections on the line. Have you rebooted/switched off the router over the last 24hrs?

Thanks

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

Yes, our electric tripped a couple of times.

That's another story!

Community Team

Hi Trevrev,

Ok thanks for confirming. If the connection looks unstable then DLM won't increase the sync speed. If the connection now remains stable then hopefully DLM will start to increase the sync speed over the next few days.

Thanks

Trevrev
Wizz Kid

How shall I monitor this?

Just keep doing speed checks?

When shall I contact you again for an update?

Trev.