Need help?

Port Forwarding Problems

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES
Highlighted
JH_77
First Timer

Hi,

I've been trying to setup port forwarding on my DSL-3780 router (v1.19t firmware) so that I can access my home CCTV cameras when away from home. When I go into the router setting, virtual server, I can setup the port to be forwarded but it says I need to disable SPI in the firewall settings. When I enter the firewall settings disabling SPI is not an option. The port if therefore not visible from outside my network and I cannot view my CCTV cameras.

Can this be fixed with a firmware update or do I need a new router (as some other posts suggest)?

Thanks, James

KeithFrench
Community Star

Send me screenshots of what you have setup in the 3780 & I will advise. How is the 3780 connected, directly to the incoming ADSL line?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

JH_77
First Timer

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your help. Yes, I am connected directly to the ADSL line.

Please find attched pics of my setup.

Thanks, James

LAN.jpgfirewall.jpgvirtual server.jpg

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

HI James,

You do not need to touch the firewall at all, port forwarding rules automatically punch a hole through the router's firewall. There is nothing obviously wrong with the Virtual Server config either (assuming that you have the port correct).

Are you trying to test using the router's WAN IP address from a device connected to your local router's network, if so, this will never work? Traffic going out to the internet from the local device & back into the local network is known as loopback traffic. All TalkTalk routers treat this as a security issue & block it.

If you go to a port checker website with a pc connected to your local router, such as:-

https://portchecker.co/

Does the port report as being open?

Can you connect to the DVR locally via the 192.168.1.20 address?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

JH_77
First Timer

Hi Keith,

It works! I tried the port checker which said it was open, and now I can connect to my DVR remotely.

I did a factory reset of the router yesturday, so I can only assume that fixed it.

Thanks for all your help.

James.