Did you mean: 
Need help?

Potential port forwarding issues preventing connection to multiple services

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster

Hi all,

I have recently started to game on a PS4 with this TalkTalk WiFi router htttps//accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

I noticed that I am getting inconsistent connections to services, if it fails I receive an error stating there is no internet connection, however my net doesn't drop. 

Have researched some of the errors I receive and it seems to be around NAT and port forwarding. In an attempt to resolve this issue I've done the following:

- Moved PS4 to DMZ

- Turned firewall down to the lowest security settings

- Manually set every forwarding rule to services such as EA for both TCP and UDP

- Reset Router back to factory settings

- Tried over 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies

The only work around I have currently is to tether my devices with 4G from a phone or to turn off WiFi. 

Apart from gaming other services which are affect are streaming sites like Netflix, Prime and work related sites which I know redirect from traditional 443 or 80.

One thing I have noticed is that when I access the port forwarding rules in my router the page doesn't quite render correctly, and if you inspect the HTML you can see a lot of settings hidden. I was hoping a factory reset would solve this but unfortunately not. 

I have a friend who also uses TalkTalk with the same router, firmware version and settings as I who has no issues. So wondering if it's my particular router which is at fault? I don't have a spare to test which I guess is my next test? 

Any advise would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Moving the PS4 to the DMZ and also reducing the security on the router's firewall surely prove that your issue is not port forward related, otherwise it would have worked, even if your forwarding was wrong (which it might be). I can help a lot with all port forwarding issues & the only rendering problem I have seen on the new WiFi hub, is via Android phones, not even on an Android tablet.

However, initial it is important to find the underlying cause of the problem?. How do you connect to the router with your PS4, wired or wireless? If wireless, how do other wired devices behave in respect of performance?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. 

I've tried both a wired and a wireless connection of which both suffer the same behaviour. This is across numerous devices, PS4, TV and Laptops. 

Not sure if relevant but I have a couple of Alexa's and they drop connection all the time (wireless) when delivering daily reminders or asking for a song. Red ring and the message of "sorry I lost connection, please try again later" If you try again it then works.

I'm stumped as to what could be causing it hence the reference to forwarding, it was the only thing I could think of that would block me getting out properly without dropping connection. The only other thought is if it's not correctly applying the settings I've set and maybe not actually placed my PS4 in the DMZ? I'm not familiar with TalkTalk's hardware/software I'm afraid.

If I use Netflix as an example, when I launch the app it will spin and spin, if I quit the app through my smart TV, open it again, it'll spin and spin then eventually launch. Similar to the exhibited PS4 behaviour, game launches times out, launches again times out, then gets through. Generally speaking once it's through it ok, but things like multiplayer fail to allow me to invite so I end up playing solo.

The forwarding rules I have in place come from the help of the forum here, they possibly may be incorrect. Although one thing that throws me slightly is my friend with the exact same hardware, playing the same game does not have to set up any forwarding rules. Would have thought we'd all be in the same boat.

My internet DL and UL speeds are really good and stable, I have a constant connection which I've been monitoring over the last few weeks with hardly any drop outs. Tests ran through TalkTalk's online services return the correct responses too.

Final thought, if I tether any of the devices through my phone and use 4g. They behave exactly as you'd expect .Videos load instantly, games work both single player and multiplayer and I can watch streaming TV. 

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Being a customer, I do not respond to bumps.

Your thread seems to be one of two issues, a port forwarding one (only applicable if a connection is being made from the internet to your PS4), or a general internet issue. So it is confusing to me as to what you are suffering from.

If it is an internet issue, does it just affect wireless devices such as your Alexa, or wired ones as well? I know that you said wired or wireless makes no difference if you are talking about port forwarding. When this happens, what is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router?

Please can you confirm?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Hi Keith,

Apologies, I'm not familiar with this forums etiquette.

I'm confused too 😞

Generally speaking I do not have wired connections around the house. For testing purposes I've ran a cable from the router to consoles and TV's for a period of time. However choice of connection is wireless. Not sure if it makes a difference but I have 11 connections on the 5ghz channel and 1 on the 2.4ghz one.

I've been closely monitoring the network when connection issues occur and everything seems OK, my download speeds are fine, the router shows the constant white light on the front and if I run the TalkTalk support test on my line there is nothing showing up.

I was experiencing the behaviour last night so jumped on my router to restart the gateway to see what would happen. Giving it 5 mins to reboot and come back online the behaviour continued.

I'm toying with the idea of moving away from the TalkTalk WiFi Hub and purchasing a new router/modem on payday. Just to see if that helps.

Thanks again,
Joe
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

If there is a problem with the router, TalkTalk will replace it. I think by the sound of it your problems are down to WiFi interference, with which I can help a lot. However, due to the fact that you are not really sure what is happening, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Joe

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Hi Debbie,

That would be fantastic, thank you very much.

Keith,

Thank you for your guidance, I'll update this thread once the new router has arrived and fingers crossed it'll be good news 🙂

Thanks again!
Joe
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Joe

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Hi Debbie,

I hope you are well 🙂

I've done some extensive testing with both routers, wired connections and Wireless over the last week.

It would appear that I'm still suffering the same behaviour across both means of connections. As an example I have just attempted to launch my mobile banking app, with full WiFi signal, speedtests working fine. I authenticate and it tells me to connect to the internet. I drop it onto 4G and I can login fine. Once in, re-enable WiFi and it continues to work.

It's almost as if any post request fails the first time, which ties in with the other issues I saw gaming.

I'm really confused 😞

Thanks,
Joe
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

Just to confirm, was the replacement router a different make and model to the original router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Hi Michelle,

Same model as before and also same version which is SG4K10001E00t. The router is the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub.

Thanks,
Joe
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Joe

I've updated the router firmware, reboot the router and try this again to see if this will work with the later FW.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Update: whilst connected via LAN I receive a message stating the LAN cable is unplugged (it isn't), then when reconnecting it states my system needs to connect to the internet.

It's almost as if every x seconds/minutes my router kicks off devices maybe? I have also noticed I get timed out of the 192.168.1.1 admin portal quite frequently.
Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Oh ignore that last message, I think the firmware update kicked me off 🙂

I'll test and confirm.

Thank you,
Joe
Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Joe_mcdonald08
Popular Poster
Hi Karl,

Looks like the firmware upgrade and a reboot of the router has fixed the issue. I've had a couple of really good days with none of the previously exhibited behaviour being shown. 

Thank you so much all for the help, me and my family really appreciate it 🙂 

Joe
Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Chris brown
Team Player

Hi I’m having the same issue could you possibly help me too please