Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed price increase

MrAngry1
Chat Champion
Message 13 of 13

"As you’re on one of our Fixed Price packages the price you pay for your broadband will not change. "

The above quote has been copied from the confirmation email received from Talktalk when I entered into my latest contract in December 2020.

"From 8th July 2021, your monthly price will go up by £2.50 for your Fibre 65 Plan. We’ve also made some changes to your terms and conditions. Each April, your package price will increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation plus 3.7%, ..."

This is taken from the email received by me on 8 June 2021.

Yet again Talktalk prove that the company has no conception of good customer service, especially as this comes so soon after a six month period of disgracefully poor service. I request - in fact I believe that I am within my rights to demand - an explanation.

At this moment in time I can see absolutely no reason to extend my contract when it comes up for renewal.

Shocking!

12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Thanks for the correction - my mistake clearly. Even more disgraceful then when so many are out of work, and while the ONS state that the average pay award is over 4% this  is in reality far in excess of what the majority are actually receiving. Some in the public sector are feeling 'lucky' to receive 1.5% instead of the pay freeze imposed on the majority.

Nothing exists in a vacuum and Talktalk are part of the wider community, so should take these factors into account when dreaming up 'value for money' price increases.

It feels like a kick in the teeth, and while I have been a loyal customer for 12 years - through thick and thin - my patience has run out with them.

It is disappointing to have to live up to my community moniker so frequently of late.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 13

It's CPI + 3.7 %

Not 3.1 %

0 Likes

MrAngry1
Chat Champion
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your interest AllyM, but our views clearly differ on this subject. I'm pleased that you are content with your service, though perhaps you would less so with that received here. However I will not rehearse my issues again for enough virtual ink has been spilled on that subject already!

There is indeed a difference between what is legal and what is moral, and looking around the world today we can easily see that the two are quite often at odds. I know where I stake my ground.

Without wishing to appear rude, I'm not looking for a rejoinder here.

Best wishes.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 4 of 13

@MrAngry1 , If you are having problems with your service, that is a completely different matter.

I have been with TalkTalk for many years and apart from a couple of outages (which were fixed by an Openreach engineer the next day), the service has been very stable and reliable. I am disappointed with the speed of my connection but I understand that it is mainly due to the distance of house from the cabinet, and while other providers may be slightly faster, it would be marginal as at the end of the day they will still be using the same Openreach infrastructure, and will be much more expensive than TalkTalk.

0 Likes

MrAngry1
Chat Champion
Message 5 of 13

AllyM

Your insight is gratefully received, but my opinion remains unchanged. If the service really was a good as their propganda states, it might just be worth it, but it ain't....

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 6 of 13

@MrAngry1 , the point you are missing is that TalkTalk have not broken the contract, they have invoked a clause in the contract which allows them to change the terms.

Many would agree with you that breaking their fixed price promise was morally wrong, but it is legal.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 13

@MrAngry1  the inflation rise is CPI + 3.7 % but even then, less than others.

Phoning the loyalty team can be rewarding, I negotiated a price less than I was paying before the advertised April 2021 increase.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi MrAngry1

I understand your point, there is a price change happening and the terms of your contract are changing, which is why we are informing you as per the regulators rules, All providers have raised prices,  we have held off for as long as we could, we don't want to lose customers which is why we ask you to call us our loyalty team will give you the best deal possible.

Appreciate its not convenient.

0 Likes

MrAngry1
Chat Champion
Message 9 of 13

Thank you for your response but I fail to see that Talktalk are adhering to their side of the bargain agreed when I entered into this contract - "..fixed price promise..." says it all I think. The 30 day rule aside, am I, as a customer, in a position to that I declare that I intend to arbitrarily change my terms with you and leave part way through the contract - without recompence? Clearly not, and I see no reason why your company should take it upon itself to do so to me, and thousands others.

I would like to see a justification for this quite appalling increase. Is the company losing so many customers that it has to make up the difference from those remaining? If so, may I suggest that a better attitude to good customer service - rather than simply parroting how good you are despite the reality - might help to keep them. Or are the shareholders just getting ever more greedy...?

To phone and negotiate is tiresome when I have so many more valuable things to do with my life. All I ask is that the contract into which both freely entered, is honoured.

Message 10 of 13

Hi MrAngry1

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the our decision to end our fixed price promise, our terms and conditions are always subject to change and we have to give you 30 days notice with the option of cancelling with no penalty fees. 

We are still competitively priced call us on on 03451720046, many customers have re-negotiated a better price. 

Regards

0 Likes

MrAngry1
Chat Champion
Message 11 of 13

So their confirmation told only a half truth then ?

To my mind this is disreputable behaviour and I see no reason to stay with them long term. So much is written by Talktalk about customer service but in truth it simply doesn't exist, and now to propose annual increases of CPI plus 3.1% - which far exceeds any pay award (perhaps apart of a 'select' group of employees that could just possibly include Talktalk Board members) shows complete disrespect.

Detestable!

Thanks for your response Gliwmaeden2 - nice to make your acquaintance again.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

They shocked us all, @MrAngry1......

Read the detail of the Ts &Cs, though. Clause 16 has been tweaked since March to make mention of clause 9, but otherwise is the same as it was when you took out the contract. 

They can do whatever they like as long as you are given 30 days within which to leave (essential to phone them for them to apply the waiver of the termination fees) or haggle. 

03451 720046, after 9am. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.