Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick to router but slow to device

kirkwallcity
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

I have looked at other posts on this subject and have tried everything recommended, but I am still consistently getting download speeds on my device of 4.4 mbps, compared to 44mbps at the router. Does anyone know how I can get TalkTalk to look at this?

Bob Walker Mistified by all things technological!
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi kirkwallcity

Thanks for your reply.

Are you running a wired speed test? Is the speed the same on different devices?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 7

Do you have any device that you can connect to the router wired to run a speed test, as Wi-Fi speed tests can be affected by so many things, a wired speed test should give you an accurate result.

If your wireless speed test results are poor, but a wired test gave good results then that may be an indication that you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference (i.e. a neighbours router might be broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel as yours).

To change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

kirkwallcity
First Timer
Message 3 of 7

Hi @Skynet_TX ,

I have been using the TalkTalk speed checker on wireless devices only.

Cheers

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 7

Hi @kirkwallcity,

Are you running the speed tests from wired or wireless devices (or both).

How are you testing the speed, have you tried the main TalkTalk speed test site : https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

Are you sure what you are looking at on the device is mega bits per second (Mbps) and not mega bytes per second (MB/s)

kirkwallcity
First Timer
Message 5 of 7

Hi Debbie,

I switched it off at the mains last night and left it off the whole night. No change to the speed afterwards.

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 7

Hi kirkwallcity

Can I just check, have you tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then running a speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes