Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rabbit Chewed Through Router Cables

Bawbag
Sightseer
Message 15 of 15

So, this may sound unbelievable (unless you own rabbits), my bunny managed to bypass my defences and chew through all the cables for the router. I've managed to replace the power cable but no matter how many broadband wires I try all I get is a solid orange light with no internet connection. I'm not sure what wire I need or where I can go about buying the right one, so do I need an all new router or can I buy the parts independently? 

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Bawbag

Check the openreach modem and the connection from the modem to the wan port on the router.

Set up should look something like .....

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 15

Ah right, so yeah, would need to check the lights on the Openreach modem to really understand if the fault is with the RJ11 or Ethernet cables. But if the Openreach modem is successfully connected, then resetting the router might be worth a try if you are not getting any success when trying multiple ethernet cables.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 15

@Skynet_TX It seems to be a G.Fast service in which case there is a modem in the chain also. 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 15

Might it still be worth trying the factory reset of the router ? (by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds), the router losing power due to furious bunny chewing could have screwed up some config in the router.

Note that factory resetting the router would lose any settings you may have ever changed in it.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 15

@AllyM No confusion now that we have a fuller picture, there are ethernet cables and/or an RJ11 cable that need replacing. I do think that it is the user's responsibility, regardless how much they like bunnies.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

I'm very confused. This story is getting more and more complicated by the minute.

If the router has power but Wifi isn't working that would suggest that the router is faulty but I'm not sure how cables getting chewed would cause that.

If you can't connect to the router via WiFi, have you tried via ethernet? and check if WiFi is enabled? or, as I suggested earlier, done a factory reset on the router?

Not sure what you mean by "booster for fibre 150".

Are you saying you have a g.fast Fibre150 service with an Openreach g.fast modem connected to the phone line and the router connected to that via the WAN port? If so, going back to your original post, what cables actually got damaged?  Does the modem appear to be connected to the internet ok?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 15

In which case you must also have a separate modem? 

Seriously, just buy the replacement cables. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Yeah I have no WiFi connection at all.

I have the black WiFi hub with a booster for fibre 150

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

@Bawbag Are you saying WiFi isn't working either?

You have to connect to the router directly, either via WiFi or with an ethernet cable.

What router do you have and what actually happens with the sequence of the light/lights when you switch the router on?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Thanks all for your help and advice. 

I have managed to log into the router before but for some reason the page is not loading, I assume because I'm not connected to the wifi? Currently using data but I'm not sure if this would make a difference 

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 11 of 15

@Bawbag wrote:

all I get is a solid orange light

Just wondering folks, would a solid orange light not indicate that the modem has acquired DSL sync but not authenticated on the TalkTalk network? Perhaps the modem/router settings have got screwed up somehow with the power failure?

@Bawbag Are you able to log into the router to check the DSL stats? Have you tried to do a factory reset of the router?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 15

If the power is getting to the router then the other cable you need for an internet connection is an RJ11 from the router to the socket, here is an example online: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-RJ11-Straight-Modular-Cable-Silver/dp/B007FTDVXM

If you have any wired devices connected to the router you may need replacement ethernet cables also. 

0 Likes

Bawbag
Sightseer
Message 13 of 15

@Bawbag wrote:

So, this may sound unbelievable (unless you own rabbits), my bunny managed to bypass my defences and chew through all the cables for the router. I've managed to replace the power cable but no matter how many broadband wires I try all I get is a solid orange light with no internet connection. I'm not sure what wire I need or where I can go about buying the right one, so do I need an all new router or can I buy the parts independently? 

Bunny's are ***holes

I swear bunny proofing is a full time job and the wee goblins will still get a hold of them.

Have added landline number thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

@Bawbag,

Staff will be back on Monday to assess the damage!

Please add your Talktalk landline number to your community forum profile details for them to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings: launch profile wizard. 

Rabbits do love to chew! My one is particularly fond of trousers.......

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes