Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Rebooting DSL 3782 Router has disconnected wireless devices

34 REPLIES 34
Calum842
Team Player

Hi, I have a Dlink DSL 3782 and after a reboot, all three wireless extenders in my house cannot connect to the internet anymore.

Nothing was changed, apart from a reboot.  The mobile phones all seem to be able to connect.  It's just the wireless extenders that have stopped working.  

If all the settings are the same, they why can't they connect anymore?

Any suggestions?

Calum842
Team Player

I should add the phones are only working on 5GHz, it seems the 2.4GHz channel just won't work anymore.  When I switch off the 5GHz channel and try to use the 2.4GHz, the phones won't connect either.

Could it be that the reboot somehow 'broke' the 2.4GHz wireless channel?

Community Team

Hi Calum842,

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting this again?

Restore your router to factory settings

Thanks

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Michelle, 

I did not change any of the settings, I just rebooted and now the 2.4 channel doesn't work.

I have just now double-checked the settings, and they are exactly the same.  Please see image attached.  I just added the words 5G to the 5G channel so that I could identify which channel was working.

wirelesss issue 01.PNG

I also found out the 'smart TV' can't connect either, to the 2.4 channel.  (It doesn't have a 5g option).

Ideas?

Calum842
Team Player

OK in any case, I will try your suggestion to reset to factory settings and try again tonight.

Community Team

Hi Calum842

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

OK great.  I will try that as well.  I can send back the older one if its broken.

Community Team

Hi Calum842

Ok if the factory reset later does not resolve this issue then I will send the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

After the reset, the wireless is now working on both bands, but now I cannot log into the router anymore.  The password on the back of the router does't work (admin/[password]), neither does admin/admin or admin/[blank].

I have read all the issues on this website about the bugs with the Dlink DSL 3782, and considering I have now spent about 4-5 hours in total trying to debug the wireless and now trying to log in to the route, I would request a replacement, if you don't mind.

Ideally not the 3782 again please.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi

Different model router on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Calum842
Team Player

Thank you, that's helpful.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Karl 

Calum842
Team Player

Hi again,

The new router seems to be working better - wireless is stronger and no problems with connecting.  Thanks for that.

The only issue I get is the internet gets slow around 3.30-4.30pm, which I think is to do with traffic generally, not to do with this router.

As there is only copper available on our street (ASDL) not fiber, then I think there is nothing I can do about the 4pm speed slump?

Community Team

Hi Calum842

Thanks for keeping updated. Are wired connections also affected after 4pm?

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Yes the wired connections seem to be effected quite a bit.

Community Team

Hi Calum842

Thanks for your reply.

What does the speed drop to? Your current sync speed is 17.6mb

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Around 4pm the speed has drops to almost nothing.  I tried running the broadband speed checker to see the speed, however, that test could not even connect to the server to start the test.  

I wonder if this is due to demand from other nearby users around that time of day?

Yesterday the speed dropped considerably, but I still have a connection.  The day before, the speed dropped and I had no connection for around 5 minutes.

What could be the cause of this and any possible solutions suggested?

Thanks, Calum

Community Team

Hi Calum

The sync speed looks good and the SNR isn't dropping low.

Please can you run a ping and trace route when the speed is good and another one when the speed is low (and paste results on this thread)

Run a Ping or Traceroute

If you could also try running a speed test again when the speed drops using the TT speed tester (connected wired with one device)

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

The speed drops a lot starting 3.45-3.55 pm to about 5.00pm.  (After 5.10-5.20 its back to normal. )

Here are the results of the ping test and traceroute:

ping test.PNG

tracert test.PNG

It gets so slow, I cannot even get the 'broadband speed checker' website to connect to the servers to start the test.

speed checker.PNG

I did the test from one wired computer.

There are other computers on our network, doing email and google docs, etc. but nothing data-intensive, and besides, the network speed is good all day every day, except between the time I listed above. 

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks, Calum 

Community Team

Hi Calum,

Thank you. The results do look high. Just to confirm, do you have any devices set on a timer to come on or off at this time? Are any other devices scheduled to run updates around the time that the speed drops?

Thanks