Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Receive speed over VPN

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
First Timer

I have a difficult to explain problem with my work VPN connection and hope somebody can help.

I have the HG633 router and am connected by Ethernet cable. Everything has been working perfectly since March... until last week.  I can connect to my work VPN without any problems and the problem is intermittent. 

The problem started when I started receiving a message like “Sorry, we cannot open [file details] because...”. I have had various conversations with our IT solution centre and, eventually, they have concluded that the problem is my network and by that they mean my connection/ISP, i.e. TalkTalk. During times when I have had this problem I have watched Ethernet receive speed in Task Manager and can see that the receive speed while trying to open files is, at best, about 1Mbps. At the very same time I have run a speed test, on the same laptop, and achieved a download speed of >66Mbps. While running the speed test, at the same time as trying to open the file, the Ethernet receive speed jumps up to match the speed test speed yet the file I’m trying to open still fails. I’m baffled!

Another thing I have tried is connecting to my phone and opening files while connected via 4G and this does work.

After testing my line TalkTalk are now sending an OpenReach engineer to investigate a potential problem with my OpenReach socket but I’m not convinced it’s that. Who knows!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @SJD72 ,

It would be worth updating your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number & alternative contact number. This will allow the staff on this forum to identify you, then when they see this post in the next day or two they will be able to check your connection & router, which may potentially show up some issue that they will then be able to help with.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SJD72,

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer
Done. I have already discussed with service centre and an OpenReach engineer is arranged to take a look next week.
Highlighted
First Timer
Hi,
I don't have an alternative landline router. I have done a factory reset on the router and that didn't solve the problem. I have tried while connected to 4G using my phone and that does work but I would quickly get through my 5GB data allowance if I used that!

Thanks.
Highlighted

Hi SJD72,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer
I am happy to try a replacement router, of course, thanks. This hasn't been highlighted as a cause of the issue while I've been talking to the TalkTalk service centre though. They have arranged for an OpenReach engineer to check the wiring and socket into the house because a line test detected a possible fault there. Is the router likely to be the problem if everything else is working other than VPN throughput intermittently during the day? Does the router treat VPN traffic differently to other traffic?
Highlighted

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing. A router should handle the traffic the same, but if the specific VPN traffic protocol is failing, then only way to be sure is to test with another make / model of router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
First Timer
Thanks, I should receive the test router this evening. I've been hitting the network quite hard today with work and have had absolutely no problems at all! I won't connect the new router until I encounter the problem again but I'll have it on immediate standby ready.
Highlighted

Hi SJD72

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer
Hi Debbie,

Everything was working okay on Friday but I set up the new router on Sunday anyway ready for the working week ahead. As of today I still have not encountered any more problems so I hope that continues. I am due a service engineer visit by OpenReach on Saturday morning to look at the socket but I might now cancel that.

Regards, Steve.
Highlighted

Hi Steve

Thanks for keeping us updated.

If you would like us to cancel this visit then I will need to send you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can arrange this.

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer
I would like to cancel this engineer visit please so please feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
Highlighted

Hi SJD72

Thanks for your reply.

I have just sent over the Private Message.

Debbie