Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red internight on router

ttname
Participant
Message 25 of 25

I have experienced regular internet red light on my router overnight & increasingly during the day. The problems have become more serious since the start of 2019. My download speed has dropped from a reliable 12 mbps to less than 10 mbps & get some timeouts when using the internet. Most times the red light clears when my PC is booted in the morning but sometimes a router reboot is needed.

I have called TT twice. First time they diagnosed a line issue. Outreach visit, check line, replace the master socket (new MS5C) & say no faults found. Second call :  TT say router faulty & replace with a HG635. Neither action has cured the problem.

I have tried changing one variable at a time. Tried 3 routers, no change. Cabled straight to master socket, no change. Swap micro filter, no change. Swap router grey cable, no change. Cable to MS test socket to disable all extension lines, no change.

Current set up: Std broadband. Router (new ) HG635. PC connected via cat5 cable.

Can you please investigate any available error logs & the exchange DLM settings or make any suggestions.  Many thanks for your help.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi ttname,

Thanks for letting me know. I've re-checked the connection stats and I'm not sure why the sync speed dropped as the connection appeared to be stable. If the speed does drop again then please let us know and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Within 20 mins of reporting my post holiday problems on this forum the reset that was done ( at least I assume it was a reset done from your end ) caused the speed to return to around 13 mbps & its been consistantly good since then.

I understand that the exchange monitors my line & adjusts the speed based presumably on line quality & demand. What I don't understand is, once I was back online after 10 days of inactivity, why your system didn't recognise that & give me a normal line speed.

Any clarification would be helpful. From a user's perspective this is all a mystery.

regards.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi ttname,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've checked the connection stats and the connection looks stable for almost 3 days and the sync speed has increased since your last post. How is the stability and speed at the moment? Has anything changed since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Just returned from 10 day holiday with router left on.

Prior to holiday speed test gave 12.9 / 0.8

After holiday (as at 15/3/19 in period from 0900 to 1400 ), noticed ADSL & internet light went blank X2, recovered but speed test now gives 0.6 / 0.1

Reboot router, test now 1.0 / 0.1

Internet unusable with regular timeouts.

No change to set up. New HG635 router PC connected via cat5

Please advise.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi ttname

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Our Network Team set the router to always on.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

To keep the connection direct to the MS requires the flying lead being draped around one grandfather clock, up the stairs & along the landing floor,  not good for the ying & yang.

My preference is to revert to the old wiring which is a DIY lead routed via the loft and connected to the BT installed extension in the bedroom next to my office which houses the router.

So this is what I've done, & the reason for the delay in responding to your last post.

1 get a punch down tool off ebay

2 research connection practice via google to find the wiring colour conventions & noticed that for best ADSL results the bell wire should be cut out.

So I have remade all the connections from the MS to my office & cut out the bell wire connection to terminal 3. Switched to this cabling route on 2/3 @ 16:30

The result is a test speed of 12.9 / 0.8 which I'm happy with & possibly this might even increase under DLM or if you do a sync at the exchange.  So unless the recent test was a fluke, looks like it's fixed, & your suggestion of a wiring fault was correct.

Finally it would be really useful to know what you changed on my router setup to get rid of the overnight red light issue that you fixed on Feb 20th.

Again thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi ttname

Thanks for your reply.

I can see that the sync speed has increased to 12.2mb. I have also optimised the connection and the speed has now increased to 15.3mb.

As the speed is increasing in this set up this does indicate a possible issue with the face plate or internal wiring. Would it be possible to leave router, phone and filter at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

OK back on test socket as at 12:32 with flying lead to router via micro filter @ router end.

Speed test 9.7 / 0.8

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Hi ttname

If you are experiencing a fault with internal wiring or the face plate then this will still affect the overall speed.

Would it be possible to test at the test socket again?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

You would not believe that running two bits of wire from my router to the exchange would be such a challange.

TT have offered me a fibre connection for the same £ as my current deal, so even if my internal cabling is attenuating the line speed a bit presumably I would still see a substantial overall improvement ?

Do you think I should just give up on my current setup & go fibre ?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi ttname 

I've optimised your connection again but the sync speed has remained at 11mb.

This may be a possible issue with the face plate or internal wiring if the speed has reduced again since the router was removed from the test socket.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Have disconnected from direct cable to MS & returned to my preferred cabling route.

Speed dropped from 13 mbps ( via MS)  to 9.3 on current cabling route & been at this level unchanged for 24 hrs.

This current cabling route has consistantly run at 12 over a number of years so could you try an exchange reset please to get the speed up.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi ttname

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

My test results now improved to12.3 down 0.7 up.

That's great thanks for your help.  I'll stay on the test socket for the next 2 days & monitor the results, then if everything seems stable will go back to my preferred cabling route via an upstairs extension & check that the speed remains good.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi ttname 

Thanks for your reply.

Your line is currently showing in sync for just over 1 day and 21 hours.

I've optimised your connection and the sync speed has increased from 12.2mb to 15.3mb.

Please let us know how the connection/speed compares following this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

The red light has stayed off overnight since your changes, as far as I can tell.

I've just run a speed test & there is no improvement.  No speed increases, my results over the last few weeks are consistant at 9.8 down 0.8 up, still below the 12 that I used to consistantly get. Does that mean that DLM has not seen any improvements to line performance to allow faster data flow as a result of your changes ?

Still on the test socket with no change to anything at my end.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hi ttname

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Hi ttname

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Yes I will do that & report. Many thanks for the prompt response.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

Hi ttname 

Our Network Team have made some changes to the router settings. They have asked if you can leave the router switched on and monitor the connection over the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes