Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speed after new router installed

JP1905
Participant
Message 13 of 13

I received a new router with an offer for a free upgrade to Fiber, after installing the router my speed dropped from around 6mb to around 5mb. Overnight the router reset itself and reduced my speed futher to around 4mb.

In the morning I turned the router off for 30min to reset it when I turned it back on the routers amber light just kept flashing for over an hour and never connected. I finally gave up waiting and set up my old router again, but the speed is still stuck at 4mb.

Everything seems to have gone downhill since Wednesday when I installed the new router.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi

Glad to hear speed has returned. 

do let us know if anything changes.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Speed returned to normal last night. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

That still doesn't address the potential issue with the new router (wi-fi hub black) not connecting properly. Taking over 20 minutes to connect, or not connecting at all isn't normal, especially when my old router connects straight away. I've noticed others have had similar issues with this router and it's flashing amber light of doom, so it makes me wonder if there is a wider problem here?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi JP1905,

It's probably best to just leave the old router connected until the fibre upgrade goes through, then swap to the new one

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

@Michelle-TalkTalk wrote:

Morning,

Can I just confirm, which router is connected at the moment?

Thanks

@Michelle-TalkTalk wrote:

Morning,

Thanks

The old one is connected atm, as I had issues with the new one either taking ages to connect (over 20min) or not connecting at all with just a flashing amber light. The old one connected straight away when I plugged it back in.

The old one is a D-link 3780 or 3680, not sure of the exact model.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 13

Morning,

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Just to add to the above the connection was fine and stable all day yesterday. The speed only dropped when the router was reset from talktalks end at around 3:30am.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Speed dropped again to 5mb overnight. I had a stable 6mb+ connection for years until i tried that new router that was sent me.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi JP1905

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

It initially went up to around 7mb (over wi-fi) but overnight it went back down to 6mb.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 13

Hi JP1905

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've optimised your connection and the line is now in sync at 8.1mb.

Please let us know how the connection/speed compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @JP1905,

If there is a fault with the new router that caused a lot of disconnections or errors on your line then this could have triggered the DLM system at the exchange to reduce the speed of your connection (to try to make your line more stable). If this is the case then if you have reconnected your old router and that is giving you a good stable connection then your speed may well increase after 72 hours or so. Best thing to do is leave the old router connected 24/7 to allow DLM to see a nice stable connection.

The staff on this community won't be around until Monday now, so you may get faster support by using the live chat or phoning up over the weekend, however the staff here should respond to this topic early next week to help if you are still having issues.