cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router Repeatedly Dropping Out

38 REPLIES 38
Whizz Kid

Over the last twenty four hours my router has been repeatedly dropping out.  Sometimes it auto re-connects, other times it does not.  A few times it has re-connected for a matter of seconds before dropping out again.  Similarly, it has refused to connect after re-setting the router.  I did have noise on the line during a telephone call on the landline on Tuesday morning, but there was no noise on the line during a call received this morning.  Checking my service using the TalkTalk 'Check your service'  simply brings up my landline number which, curiously enough, I already know!

The router is connected to the BT master socket, pc is connected via BT powerline adaptor, there have been no changes to any hardware, software, cables, operator, or next door's dog since the last engineer visit some twelve months ago.  That particular engineer was the sixth to declare that the problem was not on my property but in the external infrastructure of the system.

I haven't chosen an avatar because none of them show irate faces.
Community Star

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it) and what firmware version is it running?
2. What is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router when this happens?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Whizz Kid

Router is a DSL 3782, hardware is A1, firmware is v1.10t

Whizz Kid

Reference the light status, I don't know.  I cannot physically see the router when at my pc.  When re-setting the router there is no light at all on broadband or internet.

Community Star

OK in that case I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Whizz Kid

After another five or six re-boots since my last post I noticed that the indicator light for broadband has now gone very dim when connected.  So dim in fact that I couldn't see it until I turned the light off.  With the light on, the broadband light looks to be off.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fringe

Apologies for this.

I can send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

I used to have an HG 633 but it suffered from repeated drop outs.  So I would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere.  But if you think it might do the trick then by all means send one.

Hi fringe

The line test is not detecting any faults but I can see errors on the line.

Is the router connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

Suggest you read my original post!

Hi fringe

Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Whizz Kid

Yes it does.  But I am not about to remove the cover and plug into the test socket because I would then loose my land line which, right now, I cannot afford to do.

Hi fringe

Would it be possible to connect the phone, router and filter at the test socket just for testing purposes whilst we are investigating this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

Negative.  I can only attach a telephone OR a router to the test socket.  It is pre-filtered and has only one outlet.  The land line extension is hard wired (by a BT engineer) to the rear of the master socket face plate.

Hi fringe

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Whizz Kid

No photo.  It is a BT Openreach Master Socket 5C.   I have just tried to plug the router in directly to the test socket but cannot because the test socket is RJ 45, whereas the router cable is RJ 11.  And no, I do not have any crossover cables or adaptors.

Whizz Kid

Apologies for confusion over master socket.  I had forgotten that the BT engineer upgraded the face plate.  I have an Openreach 5C with a Mk4 faceplate.  I do not have a cable that will permit me to connect the router direct into the test socket - different connectors.  Land line extension was hardwired to the master socket base by BT engineer at last visit - some twelve months ago.

Hi fringe

Do you have a microfilter? You can connect the router to the test socket using a microfilter.

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid

I'll dig one out from somewhere.  But how will that assist?  The problem appears to be within the router.  

Whizz Kid

I have connected the router via a filter to the master socket, but in doing so I have lost my landline connection so I don't propose to leave it set up like that for very long.  The indicator lights on the router are all bright green except for broadband which is a very dim green - barely visible.  All same same as when connected to Mk4 face plate.