Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router cutting out - live chat useless!

OldieNorfolk
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 17

Spent over 20 minutes on live chat yesterday going over numerous checks and got nowhere with this. It was just so frustrating because I was being asked the same questions over and over again but the core problem wasn't being addressed - in the end I cut it off because it was just wasting my time.

The internet connection drops out fairly regularly even though the white light on the router is still steady. I then need to cut the power for 10 seconds, let it re-boot and re-connect then the internet comes back up.

Simple problem - everything is working fine except the router. Simple solution - replace it?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi

Glad to hear the new router has resolved things for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Many thanks Chris. The router arrived yesterday and I swapped it over immediately. All looks good and I'm noticing that everything is quite a bit quicker and smoother now. I've been on eBay today and that is running a lot better, particularly picture uploads. The old router will be posted back in the mornng using the label that was in the box. I got another returns label and bag in the post this morning, that's being sent back in the package with the router.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

OK I've ordered a router and returns bag, they should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Yes please Chris, that would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

OK, would you like me to send another to test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Many thanks. That's the only one you've ever sent me so if it fails I've got no back up and I'm heavily dependant on the internet.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

OK thanks, as it happening both wired and wireless we'll need to test with another router, do you have a spare one or would you like us to send you one to test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Sorry if I missed the bit about a wired connection, in that case, I will recommend that TalkTalk replace your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Yes, unplug, wait 10 seconds, re-connect then the internet came back. Just had to do it again.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Wow, that was a big outburst!

I put in my reply to you that the connection is wired so it's clearly not a WiFi problem is it?

Frankly, I find your attitude and your tone rather offensive!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

OK thanks, did you reboot the router when it happened on the 21st?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

I am trying to help you, but if you won't answer my questions, there is nothing I can do to help you.

I do not work for TalkTalk, but am a customer of theirs, hence unless you tell me specifics, I have no way of knowing what they asked you.

However, I will explain my reasoning for asking these questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it)? - Just telling me it is the original TalkTalk router tells me nothing - I need the make & model number as they are all different.
2. What type of connection to the router is this happening on - wireless or wired (Ethernet)

3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Questions 2 & 3 are trying to confirm if this is more likely to be caused by WiFi interference or not. Failure to diagnose this may mean that a new router will not be any better.

If it is WiFi interference, this is all down to your local area & I can provide a lot of help on this matter over & above what TalkTalk do. I am often asked by the TalkTalk employees on this forum to help out in such matters.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Many thanks Chris

I'm not keeping any records but can confirm the 21st because it caught me right in the middle of doing eBay. The annoying thing is this repeated problem suddenly started a few weeks ago, prior to that there'd only been one issue that I can remember.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 17

Hi OldieNorfolk,

Line test is clear and over the last two weeks there are 3 reconnections showing, one on the 14th, one on the 21st and another on the 24th, is the connection dropping more often than this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Same questions that live chat kept asking but thanks for your interest.

It's the orginal TalkTalk router, about two years old now, and I use a wired connection to my desktop.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it)?
2. What type of connection to the router is this happening on - wireless or wired (Ethernet)

3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith