Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router failing ethernet ports

Rodws
Participant
Message 22 of 22

Joined TT about 6 weeks ago, found 2 router ethernet ports failing after 10 days or so. It's a DG8041W router. Not tried a factory reset (as recommended in other, similar posts) but rebooting router resolves issue ... for a while, then ethernet ports start "dying" again. Tried different cables etc & swapping connected devices, but all point to failing router ethernet ports.  Seems a replacement router is the usual fix, but can I also obtain my TT username /password details to try my old TP-Link router, as a temporary measure?? Its not as  powerful as TT one, so don't want to stick with it.

Rodders
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Rodws
Participant
Message 1 of 22

Got very consistent & acceptable results from TT speed test: uploads 4 X mid-59's, 2 X mid 61's! Uploads 6X 16.7.  Assuming TT speed tester is "gospel", I'm happy with those results - probably faster now than with the old router with the faulty ports.  Thanks for your interest in this, Skynet_TX, we can safely put this conversation to bed now I think!

Rodders

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 22

Ok, well with a download sync like that you should be expecting speed test results of well over 60 when testing from a wired device. It is interesting that the results from a specific site remain consistent, as that indicates you do have a consistent throughput speed (i.e. you are not getting 60mbps one minute and then it drops much slower the next minute).

What speed do you get on the https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/ site, also can you confirm you are not using a VPN when doing the speed tests.

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 3 of 22

Sorry, my attempt at including a PDF of the router display may have gone astray!

Rodders
0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 4 of 22

Quoted download speed (71) way more than I'd expect, but upload seems accurate. Speed checker results seem to vary by site, but are consistent per site. Some are consistently over-optimistic, but this IS the Internet ...

Rodders
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 22

If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show a decent download sync speed. On a wired connection you would generally expect to get a speed test result fairly close to your sync speed (i.e. my router syncs at 40mbps, my speed test result is ~37.5mbps).

Are the speed test results consistent for each of the sites you are testing with (i.e. does the one that gives you 59mbps always give you a good high speed like that, or does that same site sometimes give you a slow result).

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 6 of 22

Switched off for 30 mins, but seems about same; most speed checkers show around 40mb/s download, a couple showed 25 ish, one showed 59! Run on wired connection to router.  Not a big issue for me, (even though I'm on 65 mb/s service), having spent the last 10 years or so at around 8 or less! Will keep an eye on it & start new conversation if it worsens. Thanks all again.

Rodders
0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 7 of 22

Almost certainly I did while tidying some wiring. But worth taking your advice for the sake of 30 minutes. Download speed is down from c.50 mb/s to between 30 & 40, depending on test provider & time of day, upload speeds not so much less.  Will try your 30 min power down trick & report back - thanks.

Rodders

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 22

Did you leave over 30 minutes between switching the old router off and the new router on ?, if not it would be worth switching off your router for over 30 minutes as this will force a new session in the street cabinet. If your new router is still connected to an old session created by a different model of router this can cause it to not perform at its best possible speeds.

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 9 of 22

New FAST5364 3.00 router received, installed, up & running 3 days so far without problem. Not as fast as the previous Huawei router (which I posted back) - will it get monitored & tuned/optimised as for a new installation?? Otherwise, I assume  my problem is resolved. Will start a new conversation if anything else crops up. Thanks for all help!

Rodders

Rodws
Participant
Message 10 of 22

Will do, thank you.

Rodders
0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Morning,

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 12 of 22

Thanks for that!

Rodders
0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi

I'll get a replacement router out to you and see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 14 of 22

Hi, yes, as per my post on 2nd August when I factory-reset the router. It lasted just a week before port failure this time.

Thanks & regards.

Rodders
0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hello,

Can I just confirm, have you tried factory resetting the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 16 of 22

Another ethernet port failure just occurred. Restarting the router again resolved it - please can someone arrange for a replacement router for me?  Thanks in advance.

Rodders
0 Likes

Message 17 of 22
0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 18 of 22

Many thanks for all help on this; reset the DG8041W as suggested. Recent ethernet port failures were 2-3 weeks apart, so may be a long wait to see if it's now stable.  Will update this thread in due course!

Rodders
0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Rodws

If you experience this issue again then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Rodws
Participant
Message 20 of 22

Thanks Skynet_TX for quick response & login info - will try the factory reset & report back, but could take some time waiting to see if ethernet ports fail again.

Rodders
0 Likes