Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router isn’t working properly

Elmeen11
Participant
Message 42 of 42

Hi! We are having connectivity issues with our router. We have several devices connected at home (both working from home) and at random intervals at random times our WiFi connection to those devices drops. We’ve tested our devices with our friends router, and have done trouble shooting with our work IT teams who have suggested that the routers WiFi may not be working properly (connecting via Ethernet does help, but doesn’t resolve the problem in the long term as we both can’t use that as an option!). It’s quite frustrating and I’ve tried every trouble shooting article I can find. Nothing helps! Do we need a new router? 

Em
0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

Hello,

Thank you for the update. Yes it's ok to return either of the routers to us.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 42

Hi Debbie.  I think we’re all sorted now so this thread can be resolved. Before you do though, I’m going to organise a collection of the new router you sent for testing (as discussed we are keeping the old one). We’ve had another email asking us to return the router we want to keep though (checked via serial number). You’re absolutely sure that we won’t be charged as long as we return one of the items? £50 is a lot of money.

thanks 

Em
0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

Apologies for this. I've switched the WIFI optimisation off again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 42

No! Worse. Can you turn it off again? Some last tests with it turned off tomorrow then We should have the settings we need.

Em
0 Likes

Message 5 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

Has the connection been ok since the WIFI optimisation was switched back on?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

That's great 🙂

WIFI optimisation has now been switched back on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 42

Hiya! So IT have talked us through some different bits and I think we’ve got it (more or less). 

they’ve asked me this morning if you can turn the WiFi optimisation back on?

Em

Message 8 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 42

Hi @Elmeen11 

I did offer my help back in post 7 to prove what the wireless problems are, just changing channels is not really worth it as you could move it on to a channel that is as bad. My offer of help looks at the current state of WiFi interference & wifi reception in general, which you cannot tell from the router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 10 of 42
0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

Will do! Going to try some stuff with them today and will let you know tomorrow hopefully!

Em

Message 12 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

Yes please just let me know here 🙂

Debbie

Message 13 of 42

Great - thank you. For that. We will keep having a bash with different channels, and arrange to send back the new router.

if IT ask for that setting to be turned back on if they need it for testing something else, should I just ask here?

Em

Message 14 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

I've switched off the WIFI optimisation so when you do change the wireless channel it will remain on the channel you have chosen (instead of changing the channel back to one it believes is less congested)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 42

Yeah - on both frequencies. We’ve not been through them all yet though I don’t think. 

Em
0 Likes

Message 16 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

It's fine to return the new router using the returns bag.

Have you tested different wireless channels? 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

All packaged up, but the returns email we have says it wants the router with the serial number we wish to keep (the old one) - does that matter?

Wired isn’t an issue - only Wifi. 

Em
0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

Ok, that's no problem. There should be a returns bag with the new router, did you receive this?

The line test is clear, is the connection dropping when connected wired?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 42

Sure, but we still want to return the new router.

Em
0 Likes

Message 20 of 42

Hi Elmeen11

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like me to run some further tests on the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes