Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router keeps disconnecting and needs to be restarted

Wellfedup
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Over the last few weeks my home wifi has constantly been disconnecting from all wireless devices  e.g. mobile phone, tablet, laptop. I get different messages on different devices e.g. mobile phone disconnects and the wifi is not visible, tablet says you need to enter password but when you do it says its incorrect, laptops just says unable to connect to network. Devices connected by ethernet e.g. PC and powerline adapters e.g. smart TV seem unaffected by this issue. Devices that wont connect by wifi can still be connected by ethernet (e.g. laptop). The problem can be resolved temporarily by re-starting the router but as it now only lasts around half an hour before disconnecting again this is unworkable.

Steve
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Wellfedup

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Yes please, the one I have is quite old and been having lots of issues with it recently, Thanks, Steve

Steve
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 14

Hi @Wellfedup 

I'll say it again, please re-read the last two paragraphs of my last post. Nothing you have done yet will fix anything permanently.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi Wellfedup

Would you like me to send a different router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi, I can now see the 2.4 GHz band on my Motorola mobile phone and have connected to this. Our other mobile, tablet and laptop can see the 5 GHz band and i have connected them to this. However this hasn't solved the issue around the devices disconnecting and then not being able to reconnect unless i restart the router

Steve
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 14

Hi @Wellfedup 

Please re-read the last two paragraphs of my last post.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Wellfedup,

If you still can't see the 2.4GHz band can you try rebooting your router and then check again. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Ok thanks, I have amended the name of the 5GHz and can see this one on my tablet, laptop and one mobile (but not another). I cant see the 2.4GHz on any of them

Steve
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 14

The HG635 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Kal, I have added my home phone number to my profile

Steve
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi, the router is called a Super router HG635 with G.1.01 software

Thanks

Steve

Steve
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi Wellfedup

Can you please add your home phone number to your 'Community Profile' so I can pick this up for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes