Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router kicks off wireless devices

EmlynW
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

Been over the internet (and these forums) and not sure I can find a problem quite like this.  Periodically (2-3 times a day) my talktalk router (D-Link DSL: 3782) will kick off all wireless devices (the network showing as "can't connect" or "disabled" in the various device's options), but the router is still alive an active as I am able to connect via an Ethernet power-line extender and surf the internet as normal. The network is still visible and hence the router is still pumping out (some sort of) wifi signal, but nothing can connect to it (4 laptops, 2 phones, 1 tablet etc.)

Router is in the lounge and extender is in the bedroom, so sitting in lounge and connecting via extender is weak and unsustainable.

I tried static IPs for all devices (as I thought some conflict there might be the issue) but that seemed to make it worse if anything, so I've done a factory reset on router.  Could the extender set-up be causing some sort of conflict?  Are their settings on the router I need to change?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Cheers

Emlyn

Emlyn Williams
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi Emlyn,

How are you getting on, have you had chance to try Skynet_TX's suggestions?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Thanks @Skynet_TX 

I'll crack on with those ideas and see where it gets me.

Cheers

Emlyn

Emlyn Williams

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi @EmlynW,

If it kicks off all devices simultaneously, regardless of their proximity to the router, then this may be hinting more towards a fault with the router, but would still be worth giving the following a try, just to see if it makes any difference at all...

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.