Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not connecting since switch to Internet & Phone

Radiolad
Team Player
Message 41 of 41

I haven't been able to connect to the internet via my wifi router since I switched over from TalkTalk's legacy Broadband only service to Internet & Phone. I'm actually using my own Belkin router rather than one supplied from TalkTalk, but it has worked ok up till now with fast connection speeds. But as soon as I went live with the new service the router failed to connect. Seems like the router is trying to settle on a speed for a few seconds before dropping and trying again in an endless loop. I haven't changed the settings since they are the same as those provided by TalkTalk for generic routers. I've done just about every fault finding measure I can think of, including a line test (which returned no fault on the line), plus I also contacted Live Help though on this occasion they couldn't do anything. Just wondering if some line parameters got changed when I switched over? Funny thing is I tried an old USB ADSL modem I had from Tiscali days and it manages to connect fine! Could it be a speed issue on the new service, since the modem syncs at a lower line rate than the router used to do. I don't know if the line settings can be tweaked in some way since I know it worked fine up till now. I don't want an engineer out since I am pretty sure there's not a fault issue at my end (just settings perhaps). I would consider a router supplied by TalkTalk if it were the only way to resolve things.

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40

Message 1 of 41

Hello,

Thanks for the update. The Wifi Hub is a fibre compatible router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Radiolad
Team Player
Message 2 of 41

Well, from what I've been told it seems that it's not a mistake, apparently I'm being automatically upgraded to fibre, though I still don't know why I wasn't informed about this. I have a TalkTalk Wifi Hub now so presumably the changeover should be straightforward?

0 Likes

Radiolad
Team Player
Message 3 of 41

Hi, I just got hold of a TalkTalk Router and everything seems to be ok now. Unfortunately, I have a new problem. I just had a look at My Account and for some reason there is a pending order for Fibre35 showing, despite me not ordering it! I don't know what's going on, is it a mistake? I've also posted a message in the billing section but I just wanted to let you know here. I'd rather keep my current Fast Broadband ADSL for the time being (now that it's working!), so if the Fibre35 order is a mistake I'd like it cancelled ASAP since it's apparently due to go live on 8 July!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 41

Morning,

Ok no problem 🙂 Just in regards to DLM, we do have the option to manually reset DLM for an ADSL connection from here but we don't for a fibre connection and any resets would be completed by Openreach as part of a fault investigation, usually once a fault has been identified and fixed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 41

Hi, I think I might have got confused since I saw posts about people requesting DLM be turned on, though they probably mean resetting the training period. Right now downstream line rate is 13307 kbps and noise margin is at 7 dB. If past experiences are anything to go by the noise margin will eventually drop to 3 dB and line rate will increase to about 15000 kbps. Upstream is currently 763 kbps and noise margin is 17 dB. Ideally I'd like to maintain the upstream noise margin at it's current setting. I'll keep an eye on everything the next few days and report back any problems I have. Anyway, thank you for all your assistance so far.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 41

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it's not possible for us to switch off DLM. Please let us know how your speeds now compare.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 41

Hi again. The DLM did it's job again and after that I got a stable line for 2 weeks. But then on Monday I noticed the router was refusing to sync again. It seems that the upstream noise margin had been lowered and this was causing the line instability. I managed to connect with my old USB Modem for a day and this seems to have triggered a DLM reset, so I'm back to using my router. I'll let the DLM do its thing once again, but I was wondering if it can be turned off after that to prevent any kind of auto optimization of the upstream speed? Obviously I'll wait a few days until after downstream has been fully optimized before making such a request. Sorry about all of this!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Ok thanks for confirming and please let us know how the connection compares over the next few days.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 41

Hi, the router is connecting again so whatever I did (turned the router off overnight, changed the filter, checked all the connections) worked. I assume it'll go through the process of obtaining a better download speed again. I don't think I'll be requesting any tweaking this time!

I only used the test socket the first time it wasn't connecting but it didn't make a difference. There is only one main phone socket in the house and no extensions so I'm not sure it would have helped anyway.

I don't have a TalkTalk router. I've been here a LONG time, since Tiscali days. I've never been offered a router nor requested one, just used my own and they worked ok. I guess having a Talktalk router might have saved me some hassle from the recent problems, but it doesn't matter now.

I'll continue to monitor the connection and report back if there are any further problems.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Can I just confirm, how long after the router was removed from the test socket did the speed drop again? Which TalkTalk router do you have? Is there any reason why you're not using this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 41

Hi Chris. I received a phone call not long ago and noticed the internet had disconnected. It was a nuisance call so just had the phone's answering machine deal with it. I've had the odd internet disconnect during a phone call before but not sure if they occur when the call is answered or ended. It could be related to the type of phone I have (it's a cordless). I replaced the filter not long ago but I'll see if I can find another one. I just have one phone socket here and have tried the test socket on a previous fault find. There is no noise on the line as far as I can tell. But whatever the case I had been getting a very good download speed until the line optimisation messed things up, unfortunately.

I am currently connecting using an old USB broadband modem which not ideal but it works. The router I normally use is currently off. I'll have a look for a filter and check all my connections again. Maybe I should leave the router off overnight and try again in the morning?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Yes DLM has been reset. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 41

Hi, unfortunately not. I tried a factory reset and restored my previous settings - that didn't work. I tried a spare Belkin router which is the same model with the same settings - that didn't work. It's trying to connect at something like 13824 kbps and succeeds for a few seconds before dropping out. I've reverted to using the USB broadband modem again. The modem connects at 7.5 Mbps which is about the fastest it can go. Seems like if a device connects at a lower speed it'll sync, but with the Belkin it tries to go faster but gets stuck in an endless loop. I think if my line is stable long enough at a lower speed then when I connect the router it might just break out of the loop like it did the last time? Has the DLM been reset?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 41

Hi Radiolad

I've tried a data port reset, please can you leave the router switched on to see if the line syncs up now?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 41

Hi, I've restarted the router, used the reset hole, switched power off and on, etc. I haven't done a proper factory reset which I could do since I have saved my settings. I am currently connecting to the internet using my USB broadband modem again (I'm glad I didn't discard it, it's come in handy!), since I need connectivity right now and the phone data is costing a fortune. Last time I had this problem I used the modem for several hours, switched everything off overnight, reconnected the router in the morning and it synced so I guess this must've triggered the DLM into action. I don't know if it would work again this time. I'm hoping it's just one of those niggles that resolves itself. Ok I'll do a proper factory reset of my router and if that doesn't work just go back to using the USB modem and try what I did last time.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 41

Hi Radiolad

Sorry about this.

Could you try factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 41

Yes, I did reboot the router once but still not syncing. Can it revert to the previous profile or is this not possible now? Will it have to go back to Dlm over again? Btw I am doing this on my phone so you might not get a quick reply.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 41

Hi Radiolad

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried a line optimisation but the line is now not showing in sync. Is the router switched on at the moment?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 41

Yes please, thank you.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Thanks for the update. Would you like me to try and optimise the connection to see if we can increase the upstream sync speed any further? This may lower the downstream sync speed slightly.

Thanks

0 Likes