Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not connecting since switch to Internet & Phone

Radiolad
Team Player
Message 41 of 41

I haven't been able to connect to the internet via my wifi router since I switched over from TalkTalk's legacy Broadband only service to Internet & Phone. I'm actually using my own Belkin router rather than one supplied from TalkTalk, but it has worked ok up till now with fast connection speeds. But as soon as I went live with the new service the router failed to connect. Seems like the router is trying to settle on a speed for a few seconds before dropping and trying again in an endless loop. I haven't changed the settings since they are the same as those provided by TalkTalk for generic routers. I've done just about every fault finding measure I can think of, including a line test (which returned no fault on the line), plus I also contacted Live Help though on this occasion they couldn't do anything. Just wondering if some line parameters got changed when I switched over? Funny thing is I tried an old USB ADSL modem I had from Tiscali days and it manages to connect fine! Could it be a speed issue on the new service, since the modem syncs at a lower line rate than the router used to do. I don't know if the line settings can be tweaked in some way since I know it worked fine up till now. I don't want an engineer out since I am pretty sure there's not a fault issue at my end (just settings perhaps). I would consider a router supplied by TalkTalk if it were the only way to resolve things.

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40

Message 21 of 41

The DLM seems to have done it's thing and settled on a download line speed 15152 Kbps which is better than the previous service, but the upload line speed is still stuck at 763 Kbps. I had a look at the router's line stats page and it reports the downstream noise margin has dropped to 3 dB while the upstream is still at 17 dB. I did get a bit faster upload on the previous service therefore I don't know if it can be adjusted so that I can get more speed?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Thanks for the update. If this is only being switched off once or twice then it should hopefully not affect DLM.

Thanks 🙂

Message 23 of 41

Hi, the download line speed is now at 14333 Kbps which is roughly max I was getting previously, it'll be interesting to see if it goes any higher! The upload line speed is still stuck at 763 Kbps.

BTW, I am having some electrical work done on Friday morning (new extractor fan fitted in kitchen) and the power may have to go off for a while, just wondering if the router being powered down would affect the ongoing line adjustment? I suspect not, but just to let you know.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 24 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Ok please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

Message 25 of 41

Ok, that's reassuring in case I need one. I'll continue to monitor my connection. Thanks for the reply! 🙂

Message 26 of 41

Hi Radiolad

Thanks for your reply 🙂

If you do experience any issues with your current router then we can send you a TalkTalk router.

Debbie

Message 27 of 41

Hi, it's been gradually creeping up every day, download line speed now at 12283 Kbps. Connection seems to be stable so far with no dropouts. Upload line speed is stuck at 763 Kbps but like I said in the previous post I assume it will be adjusted once the download speed has been optimised. Anyway, I have a question to ask. My Belkin router is working fine right now, but were I to need a replacement would I be entitled to a free router from TalkTalk? I know I'd get one if I upgrade to fibre but it would be handy to know if I ever need a replacement while still on ADSL. Anyway, thanks for your help so far. 🙂

Message 28 of 41

Hi Radiolad

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 29 of 41

Hi, the download line rate has gradually been increasing over the last few days. It's is currently at 11261 Kbps which is not far off the minimum I was getting on the previous service. The upload speed hasn't changed, still at 763 Kbps, but I guess that'll be seen to after the download rate has been optimised.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 41

Message 31 of 41

Ok I will do, thanks for your help! 🙂

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 32 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

I can't guarantee that it won't affect the stability so I won't optimise the connection manually at the moment. If the connection does remain stable then DLM should automatically optimise the connection/speed over the next few days. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Message 33 of 41

Hi, yes you can do that, as long as it doesn't interfere with any ongoing training period and I don't lose internet again like I did for the first couple of days.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 34 of 41

Hi Radiolad,

Thanks for the update. Would you like us to optimise the connection to see if we can improve the speed for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 35 of 41

Hi, it's currently connecting at 8.2 Mb/s. TalkTalk promised 9.3 Mb/s max, so I may eventually get that as I know my phone line is capable. But as long as maintain a stable connection without lengthy outages I'm happy. Anyway, thanks for the reply! 🙂

Message 36 of 41

Hi Radiolad

Sorry for the delay.

I'm glad to hear that you can now connect. What speed are you receiving?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 37 of 41

I'm pleased to say that the router is now connecting to the internet! Maybe the broadband was going through an initial training period to determine optimum speed? My previous service was faster but I was paying well over the odds. Also I couldn't go straight to fibre without a lot of hassle (guy next door had to have his phone line shifted) so just stuck with ADSL for now. As long as I can connect with my current router, that's the main thing. Anyway, thanks for you help. 🙂

Message 38 of 41

Hi @Radiolad I think we need to throw you onto the mercy of the OCE team. Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon but please remember that the staff here work office hours.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 39 of 41

No, I never had a router from TalkTalk, I just used used my own routers and they seem to do the job until now. My current router handles ADSL2+ only. It looks like the router wants to sync at 14 Mb/s like it did before, but can't now and just goes into an endless loop. But my ancient Tiscali USB modem which is limited in speed is quite happy to connect at 7 Mb/s. So I'm thinking maybe the new broadband service has a line profile has been optimised for lower speeds and anything high is considered unstable? So unless the line settings can be tweaked perhaps I need to get myself a router from TalkTalk?

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 40 of 41

Hi @Radiolad do you have a talktalk router? If yes why not give it a try. Could be adsl v vdsl with your belkin

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.