Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 10 of 10

This is not so much a request for help, but rather more an idea.

I'm getting more and more frustrated by the number of threads I am seeing on the subject of problems with routers, whether that be routers which have developed a fault, or are faulty and/or physically damaged when received, or even just problems getting them delivered by couriers etc.

These routers initially supplied to customers and replacement ones are not actually free. We all effectively pay for them in our monthly package price. I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Mobile phone providers have "SIM only" plans where you pay a monthly fee for the service with no actual phone provided, so why can't ISPs have cheaper Broadband only deals which don't include a router as part of the package? Why should I pay extra to subsidise people who can't be bothered to go and buy themselves a router?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 10

I know, I said you don't have to?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

@ferguson wrote:

Well you obviously don't know what Openreach charges are

You're correct. I don't know.

@ferguson wrote:

you don't have to believe me

I do believe you, I never said otherwise.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 10

Well you obviously don't know what Openreach charges are, you don't have to believe me. Would you not be as resentful at paying the shortfall in the example you gave as you seem to be about support for others?

I'm out of here now, this is barking.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

@ferguson wrote:

Well that's very kind of you!  😄

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I'll assume it is an insult.

@ferguson wrote:

The cost that TalkTalk pass on in Openreach engineer charges is a fraction of the actual cost. 

I can believe that, but again, I'm not quite sure what your point is. If I need to pay the "full" engineer charge rather than a token fraction in such a scenario, then so be it - It's the price I have to pay for being an idiot.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

Well that's very kind of you!  😄

The cost that TalkTalk pass on in Openreach engineer charges is a fraction of the actual cost. Plus add in the costs of any added customer service provision leading up to that point. We all pay for that also as part of our packages. The "insurance" if you like is spread across the customer base. In much the same way as replacement routers issued where necessary.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

@ferguson wrote:

Fair enough, I will be interested to see what others say.

As will I.

@ferguson wrote:

By the way, when you order your router-less service and then find any issues with it, how would you or the provider begin to establish where the problem may be?

I don't see how that should change much from the current situation. The onus will be on me to make sure that any fault is not caused by any of my equipment (modem/router, cables, internal house wiring etc.) before reporting to the ISP that there is a fault with their service.

In the case where an Openreach engineer can't find any fault with the line, comes into the house, disconnects all my equipment etc, plugs in their own modem/router and hey presto service works fine, I get charged a fee for wasting their time.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 10

Fair enough, I will be interested to see what others say.

By the way, when you order your router-less service and then find any issues with it, how would you or the provider begin to establish where the problem may be?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

@ferguson , I am indeed suggesting that they do not supply routers at all in the first place. Just make the package prices cheaper and put the onus on the customer to acquire and maintain their own equipment.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

You will always see problems on help forums. That is the nature of the beast. Are you suggesting that TalkTalk do not replace failed equipment, or charge for it? Or not actually provide equipment at all? If you prefer a third-party router that is entirely your choice at your own expense. 

0 Likes