Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sagecom wifi channels keep resetting to defaults

12 REPLIES 12
shadders
First Timer

I recently had a problem with the ethernet ports on my sagecom router not working.  I called talktalk support and they fixed the problem by remotely changing something on my router.  However since then my wifi has been terrible.

It appears the channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz were reset to the heavily congested defaults.  I'd previously been running on channels 8 and 60 for nearly a year with great performance.  Now all my devices are constantly dropping the connection.

I manually changed the channels back but the router keeps resetting them to defaults.  It appears this is a common problem that requires some sort of intervention from talktalk.  Similar issues are reported here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Wifi-Hub-not-keeping-the-selected-channel/td-p/2394411

here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wifi-Hub-2-4ghz-band-resetting-itself/td-p/23582...

and here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Change-and-save-a-wifi-channel-change-on-the-Wif...

Since this same issue has been dealt with several times before I presume the fix is well known and can be quickly applied.  Although hopefully whatever the fix is won't break my ethernet ports again. 

Community Team

Hi shadders

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you tried factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

Our performance monitoring tool will only change channels when interference is detected.  It will learn about each device that is connected over time. We are unable to disable the monitoring system.

Thanks

Debbie

shadders
First Timer

Have you tried factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

I have not because I'm concerned it will undo whatever changes were made by talktalk support to fix my ethernet port.

Our performance monitoring tool will only change channels when interference is detected.  It will learn about each device that is connected over time. We are unable to disable the monitoring system.

The performance monitoring tool clearly does not work very well since it moves the router from wifi channels that work perfectly to the highly congested default channels.  I would not characterize a tool that changes wifi from near-perfect to completely broken as useful at all.

I have provided links in the OP to three different cases on this forum where the exact same problem was fixed by doing something on your end that allowed people to override the channels.  Perhaps you could look up the attached jobs in your internal tracking system and see what the fix was in those cases.

Community Team

Hi shadders

I have spoken with our Products Team and they have advised that our Wi-Fi optimisation technology is picking the best channel in use and will follow up with more information very soon.

Thanks

Debbie

shadders
First Timer

Hi,

I am still waiting for followup and still have a non-functional service.

@OCE_Debbie wrote:

I have spoken with our Products Team and they have advised that our Wi-Fi optimisation technology is picking the best channel in use and will follow up with more information very soon.

This is clearly not the case given that it's picking the most congested channel and simply doesn't work.  If I manually set to a non-congested channel it works perfectly well as it did for many months until the Wi-Fi optimization overrides the setting and breaks it again..  I simply need this broken 'optimisation' turned off the way it was before when it worked perfectly. 

Once again I remind you that the original post in this thread contains links to three identical issues that have been resolved for other customers.  Could you please ask your product team to investigate how these were solved as I'm 99% sure the same fix will apply for me. 

Community Team

Hi shadders

Apologies for the delay.

As soon as we receive further information from our Products Team then we will post on the Community.

Thanks

Debbie

shadders
First Timer

Hi, it's been another week with a non-functional service and no reply from your product team.  Is anyone actually looking at this?

Lee0069
Participant

I have exactly the same problem! Keeps reverting back to channel 1 and all my wifi devices then get a very poor connections.

On my first call to talktalk this morning I was told by the so called "Tech Dept" that only TV's have channels not routers, OMG. He then said I didn't know what I was talking about and hung the call up.

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

I have exactly the same issue, except it seems to like channel 6. I set it to anything else, and hours later...it's 6. The support guy, when remotely looking at my router via the TR-909 protocol, was telling me it's set to AUTO, when I could clearly see 8. He said I've now set it to 8. I thought maybe it's taking the setting as it's been set remotely, but no, hours later, I'm back on 6 again. Wouldn't mind, but 6 has 13 other networks on it so the range it absolute pants! 😭

Come on TalkTalk, clearly a firmware issue here, put some pressure on the supplier to give us a resolution, as the WiFi is basically unusable for me, and I'm sure many other customers.

mistersharpe
Popular Poster
Hardware Version
FAST5364 3.00
Software Version
SG4K10002600t
0weavern
Visitor

@OCE_Debbie 

I'm having the same issue too. I manually select channels that have NO interference from neighbouring routers yet, according  to mthe logs at 4am , the router resets the channel back to defaults (where there are at least 3 other networks!).

Any chance TalkTalk can respond on this issue or put a fix in place?

Community Team

Hi All

Apologies, this is still under investigation with our Products Team, we have no further updates at the moment.

Thanks

Debbie

Floopyzebra
Conversation Starter

I also have the same problem except mine is worse. Here's my thread. Got to the last page to see the latest problems.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wifi-keeps-dropping-and-I-have-tried-EVERYTHING/...

What goes around, comes around