On or around 16th December after about 11 months of steady 20+ Mbps download speed (I pay for 38Mbps) the speed dropped to 5Mbps. After a prolonged diagnosis after several chats with TT technical dept. I was eventually sent a new router (Sagemcom 5364).
The output dowmload speed from this router stabilised at 16Mbps and eventually bottomed out at 5Mbps. After prolonged chats with TT I convinced them to send out a BT engineer. The line speed at my master socket was proved to be in excess of 30Mbps. Eventually the router was transmitting 20Mbps download speed. The BT engineer said the line was OK and the speed measured at the input to the router was still reading in excess of 30Mbps. He suspected that the router was faulty and that he would be telling TT this.
When I chatted with TT technical they insisted on testing the lines (unnecessary), resetting the router (also unnecessary). After a lot of persuasion another replacement 5364 is on its way.
Has anyone experienced this as I am not convinced that the problem will be resolved (I will be very happy if it is)? What's the chances of routers being faulty like this by throttling the download speed? What's the chances of the replacement 5364 being faulty as well?
I'm sorry to hear this. It does sound unusual that 2 routers would be faulty. I've checked the connection stats and although the line test is clear, I can see that the sync speed has dropped and the connection looks very unstable over the last 48hrs. Could I confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?
It is strange. The original router (DSL-3782) worked perfectly fine from when it was installed until mid December when the speed dropped from 20+ Mbps to 5 Mbps. That was when the current situation developed.
The landline is noise free and there is always a dial tone on picking up.
I have just checked the broadband speed when the landline is in use and it's a steady 5.6Mbps download with a 6.1 Mbps upload.
When the router was reset it seems to go up to 20Mbps but gradually works its way down to around 5 Mbps.
The BT Openreach engineer is very confident that the line is OK from the local cabinet to my master socket (38Mbps at the cabinet and 30Mbps at and past the master socket.
When the BT Openreach visited last week he measured the download speed past the master socket at the end of the cable connecting the microfilter to the router (therefore with the faceplate in place).
The speed was 30+Mbps. This then ruled out a fault with the faceplate.
If the speed into the router is 30+Mbps and the speed out of the router is 5Mbps then the only item at fault must be the router. This was the conclusion that the BT Openreach came to and this is what he sent in his report to TalkTalk.
Ok, let us know once you have received the new router. Please can you keep this router connected for at least 48hrs without rebooting whilst DLM is monitoring the connection.