Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service centre

Encircling Sea
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Why does the Service Centre tell me:

1. It doesn't recognise my TalkTalk router? DSL-3782

2. why does it state my speed is 13Mb/s when three independent tests show only half that at best?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 16

Hi Encircling Sea,

Ok thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the buffering has improved with the new router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

update on speed tests.

26/10/2020 Talk Talk online test 11:53hrs ; 10.5Mbs / 10.2Mbs

19:15hrs ; 10.0Mbs / 10.3Mbs

27/10/2020 TalkTalk online test 07:31hrs ;  10.1 Mbs / 10.3Mbs                                                   

12:09hrs ;  7.2Mbs / 8.1Mbs / 8.8Mbs

20:44hrs ; 8.4Mbs / 10.2Mbs / 10.2Mbs

From these figures alone they show that the 13Mbs shown on the TalkTalk service Centre is erroneous and would suggest it is a typed in figure and not based on a test.

Also the new modem is recognised by the service centre page.

I don't know who puts the web pages together but it might be best if they look at them as the fast broadband is shown to be 8Mbs - 12.4Mbs whereas the service centre shows it to be 7Mbs - 14Mbs. In the first case the 13Mbs shown on the service centre shouldn't be available. Can't all be right.

Further tests;

26/10/2020 07:hrs Blue test 7.5Mbs/8.7/8.5

Black test 10.84Mbs/9.37/10.02

Green test 6.27/6.1/10.41

11.53hrs    Blue test 7.4Mbs/8.8

Black test 10.82Mbs/9.39

Green test 6.24Mbs/6.14

19:15hrs    Blue test    8.5Mbs/8.1

Black test 10.94Mbs/9.26

Green test 6.12Mbs/10.18/10.16

27/10/2020 7:35hrs  Blue test  6.8Mbs/8.2/7.8

Black test 10.85Mbs/9.37/9.9

Green test 6.28Mbs/6.06/10.58

12:17hrs Blue test     8.6Mbs/9.4/8.8

Black test 10.72Mbs/9.05/9.84

Green test 6.33Mbs/6.27/10.66

20:44hrs  Blue test  7.3Mbs/9.5/9.2

Black test 10.87Mbs/ 9.18/10.14

Green test 6.26Mbs/6.3/6.2

First of all it is apparent the various apps available for testing vary a lot even on a previous test cycle Ookla, on 2 different apps gave a 2Mbs difference just minutes apart. However once again none come even close to the alleged 13Mbs shown on the service centre. All that can be said is that on the whole each test app give consistent results within a range.

All in all though the buffering issue has improved to being non-existent with the new modem.

Alan

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16
0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi again,

I usually speed test around 7:00hrs but i can do some further tests over the next couple of days. I'll get back to you.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi Encircling Sea,

Glad to hear that you've seen some improvement with the new router.

Have your noticed if speeds are more stable during the daytime that in the evening of doesn't it make any difference?

Chris

Message 6 of 16

The new modem arrived on the 22nd October which was good and have been using it since. According to the speed test apps the values given are in line with previous results. However that being said the new modem doesn't load the MSN test page which is good as it was annoying and of what use I don't know. Although the test speeds may not have altered the stability of downloads seems to have improved and there is miniscule amounts of buffering, hardly noticeable and when I plug in the LAN lead there is no waiting time to speak of, the previous modem took about 90 seconds plus before you could use it.

Just for reference the download speeds I get with different test apps done within minutes of each, two separate tests for download on each one on 24/10/2020 at 7:30 a.m.

1)  7.2 / 8.00

2) 11.34 / 9.41

3) 6.47 / 10.84

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi Alan

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 16

Thanks for your speedy reply. Yes a new modem might be an idea as it might get recognised by the service centre which if I understand things correctly can give feedback on the state of the line.

This method of getting issues resolved seems far superior to talking to somebody on the Help Desk, it lacks the frustration and repetition.

Alan

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 16

Hi Encircling Sea,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. I can see that you're running the speed tests wired but the speeds are still low. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Tried switching off for 15 minutes. Speed seems to have improved prior to that but after no appreciable difference, I get buffering when theoretically there shouldn't be any. Also no difference to Service centre recognizing my modem.

Ookla tests seem to vary a bit as well on 2 different test apps.

Message 11 of 16

Thank you for email. You are correct in that the number is incorrect a '0' had crept in. Have corrected so landline is correct now.

Alan

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 16

Hi Encircling Sea,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Just to confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Message 13 of 16

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session', this can sometimes help with issues like this where the download speed is significantly less than the sync speed.

Message 14 of 16

If what you say is true there's a load of Mb/s lost between the modem and my computer along the LAN cable. I don't use wireless.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 15 of 16

2. It shows the connection speed of your router to the cabinet.

Speed tests, especially over WiFi, can vary due to signal strength and interference.

Have you tried using a wired (LAN) connection ?