Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow Broadband Speeds

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
First Timer

Hello,

My broadband speed has been very slow recently, to the point where emails aren't even coming through.

The dashboard says I'm at about half my expected speed.

Thank you,

Brendan.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @BPaine ,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be affecting your speeds.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a dial tone and no noise on the line).

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session', this can sometimes help it reconnect at a better speed.

For one of the TalkTalk OCE's on this forum to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number & alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to check your connection and router.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Brendan

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. I have tried turning off the router, but only for a few minutes - not 30. I'll try that this evening and I don't have a home phone.

My details are now updated, so you should be able to verify me.

Many thanks,

Brendan.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

HI Brendan

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've optimised your connection but the sync speed hasn't increased. Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your attention on this. The router is connected to the same socket as it has been since the service connected. 

I only have one other socket, which is in my lounge room. 

Kind regards,

Brendan.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi Brendan

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket on this thread?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hey,

Top photo is lounge room. Bottom photo is the current port used.

IMG-20200812-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200812-WA0000.jpg

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi Brendan

Thank you 🙂

There should be a test socket underneath the lower section of the face plate (2nd photo) Would it be possible to remove the 2 screws to check if the test socket is there?

If there is a test socket then please can you connect the router and filter there?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hey Debbie,

Like this?

IMG-20200812-WA0003.jpg

Brendan Paine
Highlighted
First Timer

Also, not sure if it's pertinent but the actual router is very hot. It's out of direct sunlight.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi

I'll get a router out to you so we can rule out a hardware issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks Karl.

Can the team see any improvement using the test line?

Best regards,

Brendan.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi Brendan

Thanks for connecting the router at the test socket. I've tried another line optimisation now that the router is at the test socket but the sync speed hasn't increased.

I can see that OCE_Karl has ordered you a replacement router. Please let us know once the new router is connected.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you.

Has a line test been conducted? 

Kind regards,

Brendan.

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi Brendan

Yes and it wasn't detecting a BB fault. I've completed a further line test which is detecting a possible issue with the landline service.

Do you have a dial tone? Can you make and receive calls ok?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a home phone. Is there anything else I can try?

Kind regards,

Brendan

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Hi Brendan

If you are experiencing a fault with the landline then this can affect the BB connection so we would need to rule this out.

Would it be possible to borrow a phone just for testing purposes?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

I'll look into the options for borrowing a phone.

In the meantime I have installed the new router - thank you for the quick delivery Karl.

Kind regards,

Brendan

Brendan Paine
Highlighted

Morning,

Ok please let us know how you get on and also how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks