would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow and unstable connection

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

Our internet connection is slow and unstable. The router is a Huawei-DG8041W.

The connection will periodically drop completely every hour or so. When this happens the light on the router router flashes orange for about 5 minutes before it reconnects.

Even when the connection is stable it is well below the minimum guaranteed speed on our contract. 

I had a chat with a TalkTalk agent (transcript attached) last Thursday. He told me he had fixed the issue. However after a couple of hours the issue returned. He didn't go into any detail about what actions had been carried out so I'm no clearer on what the issue is.

Can anyone offer any further help or suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you Keith.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dan

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

Can I just check, is your router currently connected at the test socket? What other equipment do you have connected to the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your response.

I don't think our socket has a test socket. I've attached a picture.

We have no other equipment connected to the socket.

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Star

No it doesn't have a test socket. But why aren't you using a microfilter?

EDIT: Oops, forget that last bit, I didn't spot it at first, my bad!

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

I can't see the photo sorry. Does your master socket look like any of the ones in this help page?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Debbie,

It wouldn't let me upload a .jpg so I had to upload a .zip file. If you unzip it you should be able to see the picture.

Our socket looks like the non-NTE socket on that page you've provided.

Weirdly since I posted the original question the connection has been stable. Have you done anything on your end?

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

No changes have been made, I only completed a line test.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Debbie,

I am experiencing the same issues again today.

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dan

Apologies for this.

Is the connection dropping out or is the speed slow?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Debbie,

The connection dropping out is the issue.

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dan,

Thanks for confirming this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a possible issue towards the property. I can see from your earlier post that you have a non NTE5 master socket.

Is the router currently connected at the master socket? Do you have any extension sockets? What equipment do you currently have connected to the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Michelle,

The router is connected to the master socket. There is no extension socket.

There is no other equipment connected to the line, just the router.

Thanks,

Dan

Community Team

Hi Dan,

Ok thanks. Do you have a different router that you can test with? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line at the moment?

I've also optimised the connection now in case the SNR is dropping too low as this could affect the stability, speed and the performance of the connection.

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately we just have the one router.

We have no landline phone so we can't test the voice service.

Thanks,

Dan 

Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks Dan,

We'd usually suggest borrowing a phone if possible, to test with, but probably not the best idea under present circumstances 

We can send a router to test with, would you like us to arrange this? 

Chris

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Chris,

That would be good. thank you.

Although it may be worth saying this is the second router we've had from TalkTalk so I think it's unlikely that both have had an issue.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dan

Highlighted
Community Team

You had the same issue with the first router?

When did you receive the second router?

Chis

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi Chris,

The issue with the first router is that the connection speed would slow to a crawl and become unusable.

The more recent issue is that it completely disconnects. The router light starts to flash orange.

We've had the second router a couple of months, can't remember exactly. Is there no record of my interactions with customer service on my TalkTalk account? I had the second router sent as a result of a live chat with a TalkTalk agent.

Thanks

Dan