Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband problem continues

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 14

Hi, back in May I reported continuing slow broadband speeds and complete dropping off of service.  Online chat said nothing was wrong, a DLR was undertaken and engineers have been out.  This problem has persisted more or less since I renewed my contract with TalkTalk.  I've been away from home for 5 weeks and the problem is still not resolved.  I can run a speedtest one minute and all appears fine and then run one again soon after and ping is through the roof and download speed can be .6 or .7 mbps.  If I use the Ookla speed test website I get a very different set of results than if I use the TalkTalk speed test.  Talktalk showing far more favourable speeds.  I know I'm not going to get fast speeds where I am but prior to renewing my contract I had no problem and speeds of 1.5mbps were probably the average.  

Essentially my broadband is unusable, when it drops out completely I get a message saying I'm not connected to the internet.  I'm having to buy extra data on my mobile phone so I can use the internet whilst paying Talktalk for service which isn't fit for purpose.  As previously said none of this happened prior to renewing my contract.

Given Talktalk have been unable to resolve the problem I would now like to be released from the contract.  I don't wish to spend an hour and longer dealing with the online help service or telephone help line only to be told there is nothing wrong when I know there is.

When engineers visited the saw that my computer set up is very simple and the router is plugged into the test socket and my laptop is within 2 metres of the router, there are no issues with the equipment and I have tried several filters and 2 routers.

Please would someone advise how I proceed?

Many thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 14

Thanks Ferguson, I'm considering lodging a complaint with my local trading standards department after receiving an email from TalkTalk asking me to stay and saying

Stay with us for another 18 months on your current Fast Broadband plan and keep the same fast, reliable Wi-Fi for just £19.95 a month.
We’ll give you a £40 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card, just for renewing your contract.

It's unreal and TalkTalk have completely failed to take on board my complaint that my download speed is 0.40mbps or less, I was told my minimum speed under my contract should be 0.6mbps so they already know they're unable to meet their contractual obligation.  To think I would even consider paying £19.95 a month for 18 months for a broadband service which doesn't work is bizarre.  To top it off they describe my service as "fast" and "reliable" when it is clearly neither fast or reliable.  I've spent hours and hours either with online chat "help" or the telephone "help" people and all they say is they cannot find a fault and they want to send an engineer out....again.   

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 14

TalkTalk will not generally compensate for added costs, the most that they can do is release you without penalty from your contract if they are unable to fix your issue, which it seems they have done. I do hope that your new provider gives you a smooth service and that whatever the  problem was does not follow you across the network. If you could take the trouble to let us know then that may serve as advice to others.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi, I spoke with TalkTalk on Monday 3rd August and spent two hours or more being passed from person to person one of whom was a TalkTalk engineer who told me he had never seen speeds as low as those I am getting from TalkTalk.  I asked him about recompense for the amount I have paid my mobile phone provider for additional data and he told me that because TalkTalk were waiving my contract cancellation fee that was my recompense!  It's appalling TalkTalk can't even provide me with the minimum speed stated in my contract and I'm expected to be grateful for cancellations fees being waived???   I've now submitted a claim via the Resolver website and will see how that progresses.  I will be leaving TalkTalk at the end of this week and I am hugely relieved that my time with TalkTalk is coming to an end.  The help from TalkTalk staff in this forum has been excellent and a complete contrast to the dreadful time consuming online chat "help" or the telephone "help" both of which are a complete nightmare and just go around in circles and end up telling me there is no fault in my service.  I've just run an Ookla speedtest, Ping 182ms, download 0.27mbps and upload 0.00....seemingly TalkTalk see this as an acceptable broadband service.  Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you been contacted in regards to your complaint since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 14

Hi, I spoke with loyalty team on Saturday who told me they could not release me from the contract without the agreement of engineers. I spoke with engineers on Saturday who told me I have to wait 30 days. I'm seriously unhappy and should have cancelled the direct debit which went out of my account today.  My speeds are consistently 0.4mbps download and 0.2 upload using the TalkTalk speedtest.  When I use Ookla directly its even worse at 0.04 download and upload didn't work at all.  I ran the test again and it just wouldn't load.  In the past when I've used Ookla and then TalkTalk speedtest the TalkTalk one always gives more  generous results despite it being the same test.

I've been with TalkTalk for years and they're now unable to provide me with an internet service and the company has now charged me for a period of time they say I have to wait to be released from the contract without even being able to provide me with a usable service.  It's beyond ridiculous.

Thank you

I'm waiting for a call back regarding a complaint, supposed to call between 16.00-14.00 yesterday but didn't so now it's between 14.00-16.00 today.  I've reached the point now where I've had enough and I want recompense for the many hours I've spent speaking with online chat help,  engineers in my house, time spent speaking with TalkTalk on Saturday, the money I've spent purchasing data on my mobile phone and the hours I've spent checking the equipment in my house including trying a different router, different filters running tests with and without my telephone plugged in.  If TalkTalk do not compensate me for the massive amount of time I've spent chasing a resolution the drop in speeds I'll be pursuing a claim via the Resolver website

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you been in touch directly with our Loyalty Team?

Thanks

0 Likes

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 14

Hi Debbie, apologies for the delay.  I've been speaking with TalkTalk again today asking to be released from my contract because the company is unable to provide me with a usable service.  Download has been at 0.4mbps all day today. Engineer told me there is nothing wrong with the line.  TalkTalk engineer visited in May and confirmed all is ok with my setup at home.  Thank you for offering to send an Openreach engineer butI don't see any point in Openreach coming out because they won't find anything.   Apparently I've now got to wait 30 days before TalkTalk will release me from the contract which means paying another months direct debit for something which isn't fit for purpose.  I'm buy additional data with my mobile phone provider just so I can access the internet.  It's a crazy state of affairs and I would like TalkTalk to recompense me for the inconvenience and for paying for a service which cannot be relied upon and also reimburse me for the costs of buying extra mobile phone data.  Thank you

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Tomc144

Sorry for the delay.

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

0 Likes

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 14

Thank you, that's really kind.  I'm really at my wits end with Talktalk and the current set of problems occurred immediately after I renewed my contract with them.  They offered a discount if I stayed and then seemingly reduced my service...at least that how it seems to me.  Nightmare.  Thanks very much.  Now for the two hour phone call going over the same stuff again 🙂 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 10 of 14

@Tomc144, if you don't want to take up the option of booking another engineer, and want to leave, you will need to phone, as that's the only way to cancel your service. 

03451 720046 Monday to Friday 9am-7pm; Saturday till 6pm; not open Sunday. 

I'll re-escalate your thread for you, to make sure that it is still in the workflow, in case staff wish to offer any further advice.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Tomc144
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 14

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I can never find where messages are hidden and I've been using my mobile phone data so haven't bothered with TalkTalk.  An engineer came out in May and found nothing wrong and my setup was fine.  A DLR had been done and it worked ok for a few hours.  This morning speeds started dropping again to .8 mbps and .7 now there is nothing but a flashing light on the Talktalk router.  It's a nightmare and the service unusable.  I don't want to spend hours on the phone to talktalk going nowhere or going over the same old stuff with the online help again going nowhere.  There is no point in another engineer coming out because it will be the same as last time and they wont find anything.  I always get told it is because of the distance between my house and the exchange which isn't the case because sometimes my speeds have been 1.8 and now there is nothing.  Please would you advise.  I'm wasting money with Talktalk.  Many thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit. If you would like to discuss leaving then we would recommend contacting our Loyalty Team directly as they will be able to look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it)?
2. What is the speed recorded by the router at this time if you log into it? If you have one of the WiFi Hubs, this will be in the initial dashboard area.
3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?