cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Slow broadband

41 REPLIES
Highlighted
GarryS
Team Player

Hi,  for several years I used to get 1.5 - 2M BB speed but this has dropped recently to only 1M (connection speed at the router - HG533).  Last week I renewed my contract and switched to Fast BB; the order confirmation gives a Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 1.3M.  I've tried all the suggestions in the TT advice that I can.  Can you help?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

You say you have tried all of the suggestions, but unless explicitly outlined here, I have no idea if you have done these tests. I can help you, but I need more information as set out below.

Please can you get the line stats for your HG533, by logging into it & going to:-

Summary > ADSL Summary

How do you connect via wireless, wired or a mixture of the two? Please do speedtests for both a wired (if possible) & a wireless connection (not at the same time & with nothing else accessing the internet).

Have you tried the router connected directly to the test socket behind the master socket's removable faceplate with a new filter?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

GarryS
Team Player

Hi Keith,

Router stats:

ADSL (Sync) Summary
  System uptime: 1:39:49
  Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime: 1:34:03
  Interleaving: On
  ADSL mode: ADSL2 
  ADSL settings: PVC:0/38
  ADSL line speed (kbps): up507 down1024 
  Line attentuation (dB): up34.0 down58.0 
  SN margin (dB): up14.8 down7.0 
  Total errors seconds: 623

Connection is mainly wireless, sometimes wired; speed test is same - 1M to router, 0.9M to device.

Master socket is old - no test socket. I've tried new filter.

Garry

KeithFrench
Community Star

Your router should be in sync at around 3M, not 1M.

I will pass this now for you to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and they will investigate it for you.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

GarryS
Team Player
Many thanks Keith
Community Team

Hi GarryS,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've ran a test on the line which has detected a loop fault which can often be caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line.

I can see from your last post that the master socket doesn't have a test socket. Is the router currently connected directly at the master socket? Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

GarryS
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

Router is connected to master, along with the telephone.  There are two extension sockets but nothing connected to them.

I did some research on the loop fault you detected and found that the old telephone ring wire can cause issues...so I've disconnected it. SNR is now up to 12dB. Does this give you something to work with?

Garry

Community Team

Hi Garry

Thanks for your reply.

The line test is still showing a loop fault. Would it be possible to remove all equipment from the line so we can run a further line test?

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player
Yes OK, how long do you need?
Community Team

Hi Garry

I can start the line test at 5pm today, will this be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player
OK Debbie I'll disconnect by 5pm for 30 mins (unless you tell me otherwise)
Community Team

Hi Garry

Thank you. I've completed a further line test which is still detecting a possible fault.

Are you experiencing any faults with the landline service?

Have you tested with a different router?

Once we have confirmed this information then we can raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player

No faults with the landline.

I've tried a different router (Netgear) but same performance.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Garry

Community Team

Hi Garry

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you add an alternative contact number to your Community profile, I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player
Added mobile number - but signal in house is a bit iffy!
Thanks Debbie
Community Team

Hi Garry

Thank you :-)

I've raised this fault over to our Network Team for investigation. Please post back on this thread in 24hrs and we can check for further updates.

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Garry

I can see that our Network Team have contacted you to arrange an engineer visit. Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player

Hi,  engineer has been - very helpful guy. 

Fault traced to a faulty call blocker. Guess I'll be charged for the visit but I'm confused as to why your test on Mon evening showed a fault even though all equipment was disconnected?

Is there anything more you or I need to do now or do we just wait for DLM to do it's thing?

Garry

Community Team

Hi Garry

Where was the call blocker connected to? Was this connected when I completed the line tests?

In regards to the speed, I've optimised your connection again and the sync speed has increased from 1mb to 3mb.

Thanks

Debbie

GarryS
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Brilliant, thank you very much.

The blocker was between the phone and socket. It wasn't connected when you did the test at 5pm on Mon.

Garry