Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre 150 (again)

stuart murrell
Team Player
Message 36 of 36

Hello Again.

Noticed over the past 2 weeks that speeds have crept downwards - getting 80-85mbs from a 150mbs package......Would someone be able to check my line again

Cheers

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Hi stuart murrell

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 29/09 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 36

Hi Debbie - PM answered, agreed and either AM or PM is ok

0 Likes

Message 3 of 36

Hi Stuart

Ok no problem. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 36

Hi Debbie - in that case then yes please with the engineer

0 Likes

Message 5 of 36

Hi Stuart 

We can't reset DLM remotely, this has to be arranged by an engineer.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket for 48hrs and DLM hasn't increased the speed then the next step will be an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 36

Hi - if they can get my speed back up to what it should be then yes please or is there something that is doen remotely first?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 36

Hi Stuart

Apologies for this.

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 36

Hello Chris - so saturday AM i went out and bought a microfilter to allow me to connect to the test socket. Over the past 48 hours, speeds have now reduced to 50mbs so no improvement.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 36

@stuart murrell wrote:

Its the principle - How would you feel if you were getting your car looked at and the garage asked you to buy a tool so you could check it yourself.............

Not sure that's a very good analogy. I think a garage would be quite happy to charge you a fortune to do a simple 2 minute job rather than tell you how you could get a cheap little tool to do it yourself.

As for the line checks, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the customer to do a few simple checks to help narrow down the cause of the fault. It is unfortunate you don't have a telephone to plug in to check for noise etc. on the line, but I would have thought you would have some microfilters lying about. As others have said, most of us have accumulated several of the things over the years. I'm surprised there weren't any in the box with the router.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 36

@stuart murrell I have always received at least one, sometimes two microfilters with every router I have ever had, I have accumulated dozens over the years, do you not have any knocking about somewhere? I wouldn't take my car into a garage to pay for something I know I can check for myself.  🙂

martswain
Philosopher
Message 11 of 36

@stuart murrell if you are unable to isolate your internal setup by connecting to the test socket and borrowing a phone to check the line, then getting the correct engineer sent to address the issue could take even longer.

However, if you wish to stick to your principles then staff will be back on Monday to advise where to go next.

Suggest you familiarise yourself with the article below.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Message 12 of 36

Its the principle - How would you feel if you were getting your car looked at and the garage asked you to buy a tool so you could check it yourself.............

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 36

By all means insist on an engineer. If they come round and find no issues at the test socket that will cost you £65. Or buy a microfilter. 

Message 14 of 36

Hi - i am not going to go out and buy a microfilter to allow me to test talk talk equipment. Call me old fashioned but could an engineer just come round and fix it rather than rely on the cutomer

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 15 of 36

To use the test socket you need to connect a microfilter, however whether a standard microfilter will work with g.fast Fibre 150 is another matter.....

PS. @stuart murrell , having done a bit of research it would seem that a standard microfilter works with all over the phone line services, might be worth a punt.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 36

Hi - this might sound stupid and that a customer is forced to start unplugging stuff he knows nothing about but when i detach the face plate, the plug is an entierly different one from the one that goes in the faceplate so i am unable to do this - speeds have now dropped to 60mbs now........

0 Likes

Message 17 of 36

OK thanks. it will take DLM at least 48 hours to respond to any improvement by moving you to a faster profile

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 36

ok - i will let you know what the score is

0 Likes

Message 19 of 36

Yes, the test socket is under the faceplate

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

you mean take the front of the socket off and plug it in?

0 Likes