Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow internet speed.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I renewed my contract In August 2019 to include a faster fibre boost. Internet speeds were above 50 Mbps for approx. 4 months.  The speed has now reduced to below 40Mbps today it is only 32Mbps. I have used the online chat service on several occasions and they arranged for engineers from Openreach to check out the system, no fault found. I believe that the speed has been capped at maximum of 40Mbps as per my previous contract. How do I get this sorted out?

Bernice
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi BernieCaswell

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Have added details as requested.
Bernice
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi

I spoke with an engineer to report the problem on 30th September, he asked me to reconnect my router connection as per your instructions. This has been the configuration since that date. Have checked the broadband speeds daily using your website, speeds still slow. Have also checked the broadband connection directly to the router, there has been no drop outs of the router for 5 days and the broadband speed has stayed stable and slow.

Hope this helps with your investigation.

Bernice
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

Are you experiencing any problem with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

There is no noise on the phone line the phone is working fine.

My husband is an ex-engineer and he suspects that there is an underlying fault with the line  or telephone exchange causing the dynamic line monitor to reset to the lower broadband speed.

Yesterday we have arranged after some effort to get talktalk to send a BT openreach engineer to check the system externally to out home to try to identify the fault. They are due on Thurday this week, will post the findings after visit.

Bernice
Highlighted

OK, thanks. I look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi

I thought it was an Openreach engineer that was due to visit but it was a talktalk support engineer.

He checked my system setup and confirmed that it was configured correctly no issues.

He checked the speed at the router and confirmed the slow speed.

He checked the phone liine for noise and did not identify any problems.

Said that the problem was due to the copper lines between the exchange, cabinet and my home. This needs an openreach engineer to fix.He was sending a report to TalkTalk.

I received a text later that day telling me to check my home setup. To understand how to do this please visit https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/ for a step by step guide. 

What do you not understand your engineer has just made a visit and confimed that everything in my home is perfectly correct and the fault is with the copper lines.

This is taking me back to 14 days ago and no sign of a fix!

Bernice
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

Apologies for any inconvenience. We can arrange a visit from an Openreach engineer, if you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

The last visit I had from a Openreach engineer on the 6th May 2020 for the same fault was a complete failure.

He checked out the lines and said they were OK.

Did a reset at the exchange. I don't know what he reset.

The broadband speed was still slow. Said it was a TalkTalk issue?

I suspected that I was connected on my old 40Mbps max broadband limit and not to the higher 73.3Mbps broadband limit as per my TalkTalk package. The openreach engineers are not able to change my broadband speed with authorization from TalkTalk.

Could this be my problem? is it possible for you to investigate and advise before booking an openreach engineer to visit.

Bernice
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi There,

When I first had this problem at the start of the contract in Septembe 2019, I got a tephone call from a UK based support engineer.

He looked at my account and he said he could see the problem and it was fixed withing 48hours without any visit from openreach. 

Hope this helps.

Bernice
Highlighted
Community Star

Staff will be back from Monday,  @BernieCaswell.

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

The speed boost has definitely been applied as your upstream sync speed is 18.8Mbps, it wouldn't be any higher than 10.0Mbps without the boost. I'll ask our network team if there's anything we can do to improve the speed and I'll get back to you when I have an update

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update, the openreach engineers have stated that they can see 80Mbps at the cabinet. They don't appear to want to look any further as to why the speed is so slow at my home. Looks like they may only be doing the minimum to sort out my problem?

Bernice
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

I've not receive an update yet, I'll let you know when I do

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Have sent a letter to the head of complaints CEO office, stating not happy with the response over the last 6 months, let’s see if they have the courtesy to reply.

Bernice
Highlighted

Hi Bernie,

Our network team were making a change that will hopefully improve your speed but I've not had an update from them so I'm chasing it up. The change can take a while to take effect

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi

No change to the speeds following your efforts.

But success !!!!

Had a visit from an opeanreach engineer today, he checked out the system from the exchange to my home and found a problem which he sorted. 

He also found a issue with the type of wire used to my master socket which was upgraded to latest standard.

Download speeds are back to 55 Mbps and Upload speeds are 19 Mbs, which I am very pleased with.

Thanks to you all for your support.

Bernice
Highlighted

Hi BernieCaswell

I'm so glad to hear that the speed has increased, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie