Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow uplink speed

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Tech help

I have been getting a problem with my uplink speed for the last two months. The speed is usually DOWN 2.2Mbs, UP 0.521Mbs, but I noticed looking at the router stats it is now 0.25Mbs UP. i.e. 50% lower than normal.

I keep getting server unreachable messages on sending an e-mail with attachments. I have been in touch with TalkTalk, and first they passed it to BT Openreach. But nothing happened, then they sent me a new router, but it is still the same. I have checked the router stats and the Noise Margin. On the UP link it  is around 20dB, but on the DOWN it is around 8dB. I think the UP is normally about 10-12dB from past checks that I have logged. Is it possible to set the Target Noise Margin to the lower value for the UP link to see if this clears the problem please.

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

I can't set a specific profile but I can restart the DLM optimisation process which basically tells DLM to start monitoring your connection again from scratch - would you like me to restart the optimisation process?

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply. If that is the DSLAM reset then it was done last time by the Talktalk tech team. The UP speed was still the same afterwards. I have just checked and the speed is now 0.379Mbs, with Noise margin of 14dB. So if it was set for a lower target NM then it might get back to 0.521Mbs. Is there anyone you can contact to make the change please, to see if this does the trick ?

Many thanks

Community Team

I'm sorry, we can't manually set the upstream noise margin, the system is automated, all I can do is reset DLM again 

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply. I always thought that the ISP could set a target noise margin. What else could you do to get the UP speed back to normal please ?

Many thanks

Community Team

It depends on the DLM system. On our old DLM system we could manually set the noise margin for downstream but not upstream.

We would probably need to try resetting DLM again first. If there's no improvement then we could log it as a fault to our network team. Their only option would probably be to arrange an engineer visit but Openreach don't guarantee upstream speeds so this wouldn't be seen as a fault.

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply. Ok, well then the only way now is to do a reset first and see what happens after that. So, yes, please go ahead and reset it.

One further question, if your DSLAM is now automated, what rule does it follow on both the DOWN and the UP link side ? There must be limits set for the automation to work.

Many thanks.

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

I'm sorry for the delay. Is the router currently switched off?

Thanks

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Sorry yes, it is switched on now.

Could I discuss the automation process with you please.

I am wondering why the automation is setting the NM to such a high value and thus causing my UP link speed to be reduced by 50% from previous ?

Does this indicate a possible line interference problem ?

Could you confirm that VDSL2 does not use the same band of line frequencies as ADSL does ?

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

I've optimised the connection now. Just to confirm, have you recently tested with a different microfilter? DLM will determine the speeds based upon the stability of the connection and also the number of errored seconds on the line.

Thanks

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

Thank you for your reply.

The line filter is part of the main connection box. When I tested with the TT tech team, I did connect a spare microfilter to the line connection box under the plate, but only for their test on the day. recently I installed the new TT router.

Earlier today, I checked the line speed and noticed that the UP link is now at 0.507Mbs, nearly normal. However, that is because the NM is now set to 9dB, instead of 19.9dB, as it was when the speed was down to 0.251Mbs.

So having the NM around 10dB is what is needed, please see my previous e-mails to Chris.

Broadband Information

DSL synchronization status:

Up

Connection status:

Showtime

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Upstream interleave depth:

Downstream interleave depth:

Line standard:

ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Upstream line attenuation (dB):

Downstream line attenuation (dB):

Upstream output power (dBm):

Downstream output power (dBm):

Channel type:

Interleaved

The router broadband status is shown above, you can see the figures.

maybe there has been an interference problem on the line... ?

What do you think might cause this change ?

Many thanks, I will keep an eye on it this week.

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

Thanks for the update. Yes, noise/interference can cause this type of issue

Do you just have the one telephone socket?

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

There are two other phone sockets. Only one has a phone connected, and it is via a microfilter, although there is a filter built-in the master socket. I do recall the speed problem was the same when the microfilter was connected direct to the 'test socket' on the main socket.

Many thanks.

Community Team

OK thanks,

Upstream sync speed is 507Mbps

You shouldn't need the filter on the extension socket if you have a prefiltered master socket face plate, is there any particular reason why you have a micro filter in the extension socket?

"I do recall the speed problem was the same when the microfilter was connected direct to the 'test socket' on the main socket."

Do you remember how long you had the router connected to the test socket?

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

Upstream sync speed is 507Mbps, I wish !! Hi

it is actually 0.507Mbps at present, and last time I looked the NM was about 9dB, so that is similar to what I mentioned in my first posts, i.e. around 10db is needed for this rate.

For the last 3 weeks or so it has been around 0.251Mbps, and was that value when I reported the problem to the talktalk tech team.

The extn phone socket does not need a filter as you say, but it was left on there from the initial installation.

I think when I tested with the filter at the line test socket it was on for about 30mins. And much less when I was asked to do the same test by the Talktalk tech team. There was no speed improvement over this time.

Many thanks

Community Team

Apologies, yes I meant 507Kbps

There wouldn't be an immediate speed improvement when you connect the router to the test socket as DLM needs to monitor the connection before adjusting the profile.

If you could connect the router to the test socket again we can try optimising DLM to restart the training period, you'd need to leave the router connected to the test socket for a few days though, to give it chance to monitor and decide on the optimum profile

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply.

Ok I can do that, but not till next week as I need the other phone extn to be working for the weekend.

Is it ok to e-mail you next week to continue on this topic, once I have fitted the microfilter on the main test socket ?

In the meantime I will keep an eye on the router NM/UP speed. I have noticed that if I switch off for a few hours, the same normal speed  (0.5Mbps) is obtained when I reconnect, so I still think there was some kind of noise/interference line problem maybe   and it has now, for the present, stopped.

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

Yes that's fine, just post on the thread when you've connected your router to the test socket

Chris

Robot5
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Ok I have now connected the microfilter onto the test socket on the main socket, the phone and router are connected to the microfilter, as requested.

here is the latest router data...

DSL synchronization status:

Up

Connection status:

Showtime

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Upstream interleave depth:

Downstream interleave depth:

Line standard:

ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Upstream line attenuation (dB):

Downstream line attenuation (dB):

Upstream output power (dBm):

Downstream output power (dBm):

Channel type:

Interleaved

I seem to have a fair UPlink speed still, (0.507Mbps) even though you can see the Uplink line atten. has increased from 36dB last time (25_4_2019) to 45dB now.

How long do I keep this configration up for please ?

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi Robot5,

Thanks for confirming this. I've optimised the connection now. Please let us know how the speed compares over the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks