Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower broadband speed

12 REPLIES
Highlighted
steveq
Team Player

Hi, Ive got a problem with my broadband speed. It's not good at the best of times at around 2MB due to distance from exchange and no fibre available, but since workmen from the electricity people dug up the road opposite my house about 3 weeks ago the speed has gone down to around 1MB. My next door neighbour lost his phone & Internet completely in this time but it's now been fixed as the workmen had apparently dug up his line. I spoke to the Openreach engineer when they fixed his line and he said I should be OK as I was "further up the road" from my neighbour. Any ideas has to why my speed has halved? best regards Steve Q.

TalkTalk Team

Hi steveq,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on your line which hasn't detected a fault so I've optimised the connection to try and increase the broadband speed.

Does your master socket have a test socket? Is your phone service also ok?

Thanks

steveq
Team Player

Hi Michelle and thanks for your response.

I am always connected via the test socket, and have run a speed test since you changed the profile but still only get a download speed of 1.3Mb (ie. no change). I'm just very puzzled why I was getting 2Mb then suddenly it's gone down to 1.3Mb. There's been no changes at this end, simply one day it's 2Mb, next day it's 1.3Mb and remained that way.

Any further help you can give me would be gratefully received.

best regards,

Steve.

TalkTalk Team

Hi steveq,

Thanks for confirming this. Is the voice service also ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Thanks

steveq
Team Player

Hi Michelle and good morning,

The voice service seems to be ok, not noticed any noise on the line. I can make & receive calls ok.

Best regards,

Steve

TalkTalk Team

Hi steveq,

Thanks for confirming this, we can pass this over to our Network Team to investigate the drop in speed.

So I can pass this for further investigation please can you update your forum profile to include an alternative contact number that we can add to the fault ticket. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add the alternative contact number after your phone number.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

steveq
Team Player

hi again,

I've now added an alternative phone number as you requested.

Many thanks for your help,

Steve

TalkTalk Team

Hi steveq,

I've logged the drop in speed over to our Network Team for investigation. Could you bump your thread in 24hrs and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

steveq
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

As you requested, just a note to keep you up-to-date.

Apart from a text message saying the situation has been logged I've got no further news.

The speed did increase to 1.7Mb for about 3 hours yesterday but since then it's back at 1.3Mb.

Best regards,

steve

TalkTalk Team

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the bump 

"The speed did increase to 1.7Mb for about 3 hours yesterday but since then it's back at 1.3Mb."

The profile was changed to give a 2 Mbps sync speed for around 21 hours but the error count went through the roof. You probably only noticed an improvement in speed for a much shorter period because the error count was very high most of the time which will have reduced performance.

There have been no updates yet on the fault ticket so I'm chasing this up for you. Can you bump the thread again tomorrow, hopefully there'll be more information then

Thanks

Chris

steveq
Team Player

hi Chris,

At the moment, speed is back up to around 1.7Mb and seems to be working ok.

Best regards,

steve

TalkTalk Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

steveq
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Not going to be around for a few days so won't be able to monitor I'm afraid.

I'll keep the router on so you can do any tests if you need to.

Best regards,

Steve