cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Slower broadband speed

25 REPLIES
Highlighted
steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi, Ive got a problem with my broadband speed. It's not good at the best of times at around 2MB due to distance from exchange and no fibre available, but since workmen from the electricity people dug up the road opposite my house about 3 weeks ago the speed has gone down to around 1MB. My next door neighbour lost his phone & Internet completely in this time but it's now been fixed as the workmen had apparently dug up his line. I spoke to the Openreach engineer when they fixed his line and he said I should be OK as I was "further up the road" from my neighbour. Any ideas has to why my speed has halved? best regards Steve Q.

Community Team

Hi steveq,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on your line which hasn't detected a fault so I've optimised the connection to try and increase the broadband speed.

Does your master socket have a test socket? Is your phone service also ok?

Thanks

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle and thanks for your response.

I am always connected via the test socket, and have run a speed test since you changed the profile but still only get a download speed of 1.3Mb (ie. no change). I'm just very puzzled why I was getting 2Mb then suddenly it's gone down to 1.3Mb. There's been no changes at this end, simply one day it's 2Mb, next day it's 1.3Mb and remained that way.

Any further help you can give me would be gratefully received.

best regards,

Steve.

Community Team

Hi steveq,

Thanks for confirming this. Is the voice service also ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Thanks

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle and good morning,

The voice service seems to be ok, not noticed any noise on the line. I can make & receive calls ok.

Best regards,

Steve

Community Team

Hi steveq,

Thanks for confirming this, we can pass this over to our Network Team to investigate the drop in speed.

So I can pass this for further investigation please can you update your forum profile to include an alternative contact number that we can add to the fault ticket. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add the alternative contact number after your phone number.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

steveq
Conversation Starter

hi again,

I've now added an alternative phone number as you requested.

Many thanks for your help,

Steve

Community Team

Hi steveq,

I've logged the drop in speed over to our Network Team for investigation. Could you bump your thread in 24hrs and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

As you requested, just a note to keep you up-to-date.

Apart from a text message saying the situation has been logged I've got no further news.

The speed did increase to 1.7Mb for about 3 hours yesterday but since then it's back at 1.3Mb.

Best regards,

steve

Community Team

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the bump 

"The speed did increase to 1.7Mb for about 3 hours yesterday but since then it's back at 1.3Mb."

The profile was changed to give a 2 Mbps sync speed for around 21 hours but the error count went through the roof. You probably only noticed an improvement in speed for a much shorter period because the error count was very high most of the time which will have reduced performance.

There have been no updates yet on the fault ticket so I'm chasing this up for you. Can you bump the thread again tomorrow, hopefully there'll be more information then

Thanks

Chris

Are you a Gamer? Have Standard Broadband ? Why not sign up for our latest Trial

steveq
Conversation Starter

hi Chris,

At the moment, speed is back up to around 1.7Mb and seems to be working ok.

Best regards,

steve

Community Team

Hi Steve

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Not going to be around for a few days so won't be able to monitor I'm afraid.

I'll keep the router on so you can do any tests if you need to.

Best regards,

Steve

steveq
Conversation Starter

hi, back off holiday now and have been monitoring the speed for the past week.

It's now back down at 1.3 Mb (& frequently even lower - just above 1 Mb).

Don't understand why I was getting over 2Mb at one time without any dropouts or obvious errors. 

My next door neighbour gets over 2Mb with Plusnet with no trouble. This would be like Utopia for me!!!

A little while ago (maybe a year or so) you sent an engineer round to check my set-up and all was well. Nothing has changed here, so I don't see how it can be a fault here.

Could the router you sent me some years ago be the culprit?

I am puzzled as to why my neighbour gets 2Mb, I have been known to get 2Mb, but now only get 1.3 if I'm lucky. 

Any ideas/suggestions?

Regards,

Steve Quinney

Community Team

Hi Steve,

We can send another router to test with if you like. Would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I don't know if you got my message yesterday, but it's not showing on the thread, so I'll repeat it now.

Yes please, could you send another router so we can check whether that is the problem.

Many thanks for the offer, and best regards,

Steve

Community Team

Hi Steve,

I've ordered you a replacement router, please allow 3-5 working days for delivery 

Chris

steveq
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, and thanks for the new router which I received today.

However, having connected the router to my computer (via Ethernet) I am now only getting 0.9 Mb which of course is worse than with my old router.

In the instructions with the new router it says leave it connected for 10 days for you to fine tune the line. Is this why the speed is even slower and will it get better, or should I stick with my old router and send the new one back to you?

If fine tuning is the answer then I'll be patient and stick with the low speed temporarily, otherwise I might as well continue with the old router.

Your comments/advice would be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Steve.

Community Team

Hi steveq,

Thanks for the update. I've optimised the connection now, could you monitor the connection over the next 24hrs and let us know how the speeds compare.

Thanks

steveq
Conversation Starter

Good morning,

As you requested, I’ve monitored the speed since your last message and it’s still at around 0.9Mb. As you know this is worse than with the original router. Yesterday I checked my next door neighbour’s speed and he gets 2.5Mb, which is about twice my speed on the old router. We are both on the same cabinet and the houses are so close I can connect to his internet from my house. I can only conclude something is attenuating my signal. The router is connected directly to the test socket and using my tablet I get the same speed as on the ethernet connected computer, so it’s nothing to do with my computer setup. My neighbour can watch catch-up TV perfectly but mine constantly buffers and is unwatchable. What can we do to get this sorted? PS. Why is the new router slower than the old?

Best regards,

Steve.