Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sonos keeps stopping and HP AirPrint fails to connect to WiFi

13 REPLIES 13
Churchtownlad
Chatterbox

Recently been given a Sonos One for a birthday present.

Sonos speakers intermittently stop playing (same as described in another post) and also every day, I have to re-connect my HP printer as it forgets the Wi-Fi Hub address - very annoying. (This has been going on for ages)

I wonder if there has been an over-the-air firmware update that has upset things? I do not believe the issue is Wi-Fi interference, as no electrical changes have been made in the home.
I believe others have had similar problems but the ‘fix’ doesn’t appear to be available to customers but something that TalkTalk can tweak down the line?

As well as the Sonos One (gen2)

I have:

HP Deskjet 3634

2x iPad 

1x iPhone 

1x iPod 

+ kids and grandkids devices whenever they visit.

My router is a TalkTalk D-Link model: DSL-3782

Any suggestions gratefully received.  

Ian Southport, UK
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Ian welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. 

1. Did you split your WiFi ssid?  Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) this often helps as some devices can only connect on 2.4g
Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad,

How are you getting on? Have you tried separating the SSID's?

Thanks

Churchtownlad
Chatterbox
I’ll get my son to give it a try tomorrow.
If the SSID is changed, does that mean all devices need to reconnect to the new IDs?
Ian Southport, UK
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Ian, only the device connecting on 5g . The idea is you change the 5g by adding a 5 to the existing said i.e. mywifi and mywifi5. Passwords stay the same or can be changed how you like.

Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Churchtownlad
Chatterbox

My son is going to try tomorrow evening but doesn’t believe splitting the frequencies will do much - the HP printer is on the same desk as the router - 1m away!

We live in a 1970s house and the internal walls aren’t too thick.  The Sonos is about 4m from the router but downstairs.

7117D281-C2F5-4475-9E53-C2C3D1FBE0DE.jpegRouter circled next to printer

Ian Southport, UK
Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad

If you are still experiencing this issue following this then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Churchtownlad
Chatterbox

We changed the 5GHz frequency SSID.

Will give it a couple of days and let you know how we get on.

From my understanding everything is now using 2.4GHz unless we specifically connect to the 5?

Ian Southport, UK
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Ian yes, you only changed the SSID for the 5 g so the 2.4 will be as it was. For the 5g you need to connect to the new SSID and re-enter the password.

Good luck and thanks for keeping inn touch.

Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Churchtownlad
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie

We’ve split the frequencies, so basically everything is connected to 2.4GHz

The Sonos One appears to have settled down.

However, the HP printer still disappears from being an AirPrint option.

My son tried to get it to use the 5GHz broadband but it only sees the 2.4GHz (5 was visible on our iPhones).  So the printer must only operate on 2.4

Have followed the HP instructions Re-adding the printer to the network by connecting USB to PC and configuring to TalkTalk Broadband, then removing USB.

Initially the printer is visible on AirPrint - whooo-hooooooo!

But the following day it’s no longer there.

After turning just the ROUTER off then on again and letting it settle the printer is visible again as an option in AirPrint.

What is going on???

Ian Southport, UK
Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad

Apologies for this.

I have contacted our Products Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Churchtownlad

Could you please post a screenshot of the software version showing on the printer and on the Sonos too?

Thanks

Debbie