Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

Alan45
Team Player
Message 46 of 46

Hello, hoping I can get some help as we seem to hitting our heads on a brick wall in a vicious circle.

We have (what we now know is a legacy package) a package called Plus Tv Access Everything with Fibre.  We were informed that the guaranteed minimum speed should be 35mpb.  The router is DSL-3782.

Last time we did a speed check when everything was fine was in December 2020 when the speedtest indicated 37 mpb which was pretty consistent with what we had been getting.  We noticed that the speed was getting slower but stupidly we didn't think to check the speed until early June and realised it was around 20.  After trying to resolve ourselves, we contacted the chat (due to being deaf and unable to make phone calls) on 21 June.  After 2 hours of the agent taking 10 minutes plus just to reply to each answer we gave the agent went through the usual stuff confirming condition of equipment, any changes to set up, type of socket and so on.  They made some changes and we had to put the ethernet line into the test socket and monitor for a couple of days.  No change to speed so  we chatted back on 24 June.  Went through all the same questions as appeared to not be able to see any history and then agreed to send a TalkTalk engineer out to check the set up.  That engineer came the next day (25 June), changed the socket and made a couple of adjustments and got the speed up to around 27.  He told us to wait 3 days to see if the speed increased further and if not to contact chat again and inform them there was nothing wrong with the set up and that we needed Openreach to resolve.  Speed did not improve (although of course was better than 20) so we contacted chat again on 30 June.  After much palaver again going through everything we were asked did we want a talktalk engineer visit again.  It took a while to convince the agent there was no point in sending a TT engineer for a second time and that we needed Openreach to visit.  Openreach visited on 3 July and proceeded to "correct the wiring that the TT engineer had done wrongly".  He also confirmed that we should be able to get higher speeds but that he could see a cap had been put on our line a few days before we first contacted TT.  He said to leave the line for a couple of days and if no improvement to contact you and ask for a line reset to remove the cap.  This we did on 7 July but were told that everything the OPR engineer told us was a lie.  We are now at an impasse. 

The agents have continually told us that if we upgrade to Fibre 6 this will resolve our speed issues.  This has left us confused as when I check broadband availability it informs us that for our address the package would give us up to 25.2mpb speeds with a guarantee of up to 20.4.  This is far worse than what we have now which doesn't make any sense.  I have also checked our neighbours availability for the same package and their speeds averages around 43 with the guarantee up to around 35.  How can they be significantly higher than us just a few steps away from us?

Fibre 65 is being advertised as a package that will give on average 67mpb.  To expect us to pay the same price as others for just 20.4 is pretty shocking and we cannot understand why this is the case.

Everytime we look at the service centre dashboard it always indicates there is an issue with the speed to the router, but then the connection check comes back fine.  On the wired connection the speed we are consistently getting is around 25-27.  My laptop and other devices struggle somedays to stay connected to the wifi.

Can you please help?  If I go to chat again they will just repeat the same circle of sending a TT engineer out which has already been done.  Any other solution we can try please as we are paying over the odds for an insufficient service.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully there is enough information to get started.

45 REPLIES 45

Message 1 of 46

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear that the issue seems to be sorted now, I've ordered the returns bag as requested. (I can see that you've raised the other issue in the billing section)

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 46

I have re-escalated this for you so that the support team can answer your questions. They cannot deal with upgrades however, but they can advise whether one would be worthwhile based on your connection stats. For a simple change to a non-legacy package you should contact the loyalty team directly by calling 0345 172 0046, lines will be open from 9:00am tomorrow. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 46

Well it seems that we may finally have got this sorted as the speeds have recovered back to the average of 37 and have remained stable over the past week.  Fingers crossed that this issue is now resolved.

This leads us to being able to decide on our next course of action as inevitably we were previously unable to consider our options - be it to move elsewhere or to stay - until the line was fixed. Can you please confirm there will be no charge for the recent visit, especially as the issues were caused by external factors outside the home that occurred before we even moved into the house 25 years ago. We are still not at all happy about the other charge being applied, especially in light of the fact neither engineer investigated the fault correctly and they should have found the issues externally. We have had to continually call out an engineer despite you saying the line was fine when clearly there was a problem. Luckily our most recent engineer refused to leave until he sorted the line as he also agreed there was a problem (which was exacerbated by the faulty "new" hub) and hopefully the fixes he has made are now permanent.

Due to the constant delays and errors made in resolving our case will you please refund the charge - especially as there is evidence that the cause of the speed issues were in fact nothing to do with our home set up and was external and in place before we even moved into the property 25 years ago and was missed by two previous engineers.  This demonstrated there was a fault on the line despite your chat agents claiming the line tested fine.

We want to now consider an upgrade as we apparently have a legacy package so want to see what you can offer us as we have had to wait two months before we could even consider any of our options as we waited for the line to be fixed.

When you sent a new hub to replace the faulty one sent a few days earlier you included packaging for the "old" hub to be returned.  Do you also want the original old hub to be returned?  If yes you will need to send packaging for that one too.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 46

Hello,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how the speeds compare and if they remain consistent over this week.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 46

Hello.  I can confirm that we received a new hub to replace the faulty hub that had been previously sent the week before.

Whilst we were waiting for the new hub we were connected using the original hub and we noticed there was a flucuation in the speeds received ranging from as low as 30 and back up to around 37.  Once the new hub arrived on Saturday (7/8/21) the speed was at 37.  It has remained pretty much constant at 37 the rest of the weekend.  Due to the previous hub having the speed drop after a couple of days we want to monitor this for a period of time to be convinced this is now fixed.  Then we will be able to decide on our next course of action as we were unable to consider our options - be it to move elsewhere or to stay - until the line was fixed.  Can you please confirm there will be no charge for the recent visit, especially as the issues were caused by external factors outside the home that occurred before we even moved into the house 25 years ago.  We are still not at all happy about the other charge being applied, especially in light of the fact neither engineer investigated the fault correctly and they should have found the issues externally.  We have had to continually call out an engineer despite you saying the line was fine when clearly there was a problem.  Luckily our most recent engineer refused to leave until he sorted the line as he knew there was a problem (which was excaberated by the faulty "new" hub) and hopefully the fixes he has made are permanent.

Thanks, Alan

0 Likes

Message 6 of 46

Hi Alan45

Thanks for your reply.

Have our Faults Team sent you a replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 46

Just to confirm that the OP engineer visited today.  After 2 hours of trying to resolve the cause of the speed issue and some repairs in two external locations, he was finally able to acheive a much more acceptable speed of around 37.  His job was made more difficult due to the fact the new hub you sent last week was in fact faulty.  Once he connected us back to the old router he managed to get the speed back (after the repairs).  He confirmed that we should not in fact have been charged for the previous visit as the issue was not resolved (due to both engineers not inspecting outside) and the issue was not caused by the home set up and that we also should not be charged for his visit today.  He contacted TT to inform them that the new hub was faulty and was preventing him from completing the callout.  He asked me to connect over to the new hub when it arrives and then hopefully confirm that the speed stays stable when done.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 46

Hi Alan45

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 05/08 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 46

Hi Alan45

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 46

You can go ahead and book an openreach engineer to make a visit and hopefully the external inspection will reveal the problem and get resolved.

Thanks, Alan

0 Likes

Message 11 of 46

Hi Alan45

This will be an Openreach engineer visit. The engineer will complete checks at the property and also on the line outside and at the cabinet.

If the fault is found to be with Openreach maintained equipment then no charges should be applied.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 46

Who will the engineer be (TT or OP) and what will they check?  Will they check the external set up this time?  And I do hope we will not be charged again as this whole saga is getting very frustrating when all we want is the service that we are paying through the nose for.  It has taken nearly 6 weeks to get this far which is not really anywhere.  We just want to get our speed back up to what it should be and then we can think about an upgrade.  If this isnt fixed we cannot go any further at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 46

Hello,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed hasn't increased. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers then we can arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 46

I have no idea how it got into that condition, or indeed how long either as it was not something that we would particularly notice - and of course I have no idea of how it should look in its correct condition.  Its by the front door which we rarely use so again we would not notice if anything was amiss.  I would point out however that both engineers had the opportunity to notice the condition as they would have stepped past it at the front door.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 46

Hi

you will not see an imediat improvement when coonnecting the new router, but if there are no issues, DLM should increase the profile / speed if the line is stable, over 72 hrs.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 46

Looking back at the picture you posted earlier it does look like the cover to the incoming line has been damaged and there should be an additional part rather than a gap between the cover and the ducting emerging from the ground. Do you know how it got into that condition?

It probably needs attention from Openreach, but if it was accidentally damaged then you may be liable for a charge, it will be up to the engineer at the end of the day. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 46

New router arrived this afternoon.  Now installed using cable and microfilter supplied in the box.  Have done a speed check and no change.  Do we need to wait for a period of time to allow it "to settle" at all?  Also, have installed it back in the master socket rather than test socket.

Alan.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 46

Hi

No charge for this router 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 46

Ok Karl I will watch out that arriving, I assume there is no charge for this?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 46

Hi

A router is on the way for testing.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes