Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedchecker won't work from my location?

Olliedog
Chat Champion
Message 16 of 16

When I try to test my broadband speed using the TalkTalk speedchecker I get the message:

"Sorry, we can't run a speed test from your location

The TalkTalk speed checker helps you find the upload and download speed on your computer or laptop. Please make sure you're at home when you run this test."

I am at home and using a desktop pc.  What is wrong?

Olliedog
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Thanks for the information and the link to the speed checker website. It's just a shame that the technical help guy I was dealing with didn't know about this alternative site and about the issue with the primary test site. Instead, he implied it was my technical incompetence at fault and simply advised me to get back to them when I had gotten the test to work. As a result I had to trawl through the forums to find an answer. All an avoidable waste of everyone's time. But thank you again for providing a solution. Hopefully technical can utilize this during the diagnostic process. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Thank you - the link works and I have checked my download speed at 9.5 mbs.  I shall use this checker in future.  Hopefully the link on your website will be made to function?

Olliedog
0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

The reason no-one "with any authority or interest" has responded is because the most recent posts have been made on an old and dormant thread. The position as I understand it remains the same: some people remain unable to access the TalkTalk speed checker via My Account, but an alternative route to the same checker (not a different one) is available here.

If you want an "official" update please start a new topic.

Message 4 of 16

Clearly no-one with any authority or interest in users issues reads the forum.  If they did then there would have been a response of some sort wouldn't you think?

Olliedog

Message 5 of 16

" Why no solution? "because they dont have one or it would have been implemented by now surely,it would be easier to own up to it and be done with instead of the `we will get back to you` when a solution is found.Eighteen months worth of nowt.I have had this problem in my account aswell.You will get some smart *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* on  in a minute saying there are other speed checkers,yes there are we know that but it is the principal of thing that counts.

Message 6 of 16
So it's March 2019 and this is still an issue for me. Yes you can use a third party checker and yes they have a speed checker on the Service checker page of the website but it is a bit vague in its results talking about estimates etc. Additionally, I was talking to Technical support today and they were insistent that I use the 'myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker'. When i tried and got the usual message, he implied that it was my fault and asked if there was someone else in the house who could help me !!!!! If i hadn't found this condescension so hysterically funny, I might have taken offence. Anyhoo, he insisted I try again and, despite the words of Albert Einstein, regarding doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results being the definition of madness, ringing in my ears, I complied, achieving the same negative outcome. At this point technical gave up and advised my to call back when I got the talktalk website working properly ! It's nearly 5 months since this post was promised an update when the got to the bottom of the problem. Why no solution?

Message 7 of 16

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. We're currently looking into this and will let you know as soon as we know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Robjay
Team Player
Message 8 of 16

Same for me this evening. 

"Sorry, we can't run a speed test from your location

The TalkTalk speed checker helps you find the upload and download speed on your computer or laptop. Please make sure you're at home when you run this test."

I'm experiencing low download speeds and can't test the actual speed.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Same here - pretty poor show, Talktalk. Fix it or bin it.

...hell-oooooo?

...anyone there.....?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

having the same problem with speedcheck give message that it can't run from mylocation, I am running it from hoome logged into my account

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi Olliedog,

Have you tried the My Account speed tester as eebdsirhc suggested?

Chris

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 16

Have you tried the speed test from your "My Account" recently, it has been updated since your original posts.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Still no different.  I would have expected the issue to have been resolved by now or the facility taken off.  Sure, there are other speedcheck sites but I have TalkTalk broadband - I expect to be able to use Tal;kTalk's speedcheck.  Is that unreasonable?

Olliedog

Message 14 of 16

Thanks for your help.

Olliedog
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 16

There are some known issues with the speed checker which are currently under investigation.

Have you tried :-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

0 Likes