Need help?

Static IP address

ANSWERED
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Calum842
Team Player

Hi, 

Does anyone know how to set a static IP address for the router itself? 

I have attached a screen shot showing the router settings.

I found a place where it states 'static IP address' - do I select this and reboot and all will be well?

Thanks, Calum 

static ip issue.PNG

static ip issue 2.PNG

static ip issue 3.PNG

Community Team

Hi Calum842,

If you're trying to set a static WAN IP address, I'm sorry but we don't offer this feature.

Chris

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Chris, but in the WAN settings screengrab I sent it states, "static IP address".

Community Team

I'm not sure why that says static IP address. Are you trying to set a static external IP address so that when you lose your internet connection the router reconnects to the Internet with the same IP Address?

Chris

Calum842
Team Player

Yes.  Here is the screen grab showing the option to switch this on.static ip issue 3.PNG

Community Team

Hi

The router may show that option but this will not work.  Your IP address is issues by your ISP (us) and will not be static. 

A fixed IP would only be assigned to a business customer.  All residential customers will have a dynamic IP and this will change.

Thanks

Karl. 

Calum842
Team Player

Thanks. Does the IP change on rebooting the router? (is it fixed until the reboot?)

Community Team
Solution

Hi

With ADSL this will happen on reboot. With fibre, the session will remain open for a time on reboot so you would not always see the IP renew.

Thanks

Karl. 

Calum842
Team Player

Hi Karl,

With the new Huawei router, I am seeing the IP change everyday without rebooting.  Is there a setting I can use to prevent it changing the IP everyday like this.  (We are using Google analytics so it needs to fixed ip to work best).  

Thanks, Calum 

Community Team

Hi Calum

Have you set the router to always on in the router settings?

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Do you mean these settings: "PPP trigger mode"

router settings always on.PNG

I have just switched them to "always online"

Or was it other settings you meant?

Community Team
Calum842
Team Player

Hi Debbie, 

I have that setting enabled now for a couple of days, and I am finding the IP is still being reset everyday.

Is there another setting I can use to settle down the IP?  (The Dlink router did not have this issue but the Hwawei router is more reliable for wireless and rebooting).  

thanks, Calum

Community Team

Hi Calum

It appears that the SNR is now dropping low and this can affect the stability and performance of the connection, apologies for this.

I have reset the port and also optimised the connection and the SNR has increased.

Please can you monitor this and let us know if the connection is now more stable. This will help us establish if this is related to the SNR dropping too low.

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

Yes, I saw that you accessed the router remotely.

Could you let me know what you changed, so that if I do a 'factory reset' I could repeat the settings without having to bother you again?

Community Team

Hi Calum

Apologies, the changes made had to be actioned on our side. DLM changed the profile to increase the SNR. 

The changes weren't made to the router settings, we reset DLM and the port.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Debbie

Calum842
Team Player

I've been monitoring for over a week, and it seems pretty stable now.  No IP changes - it's the same one all the time.

Thanks for your help!

Community Team

Hi Calum

That's great news, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie