would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sub 5mbps speeds at peak times

33 REPLIES 33
Pyewacket
Participant

Hello all,

After an unsatisfactory conversation with an online agent I thought I'd try to get some assistance here.

At peak times our download speed is dropping to sub 5mbps speeds, outside of this it's great, 70mbps plus. This is causing issues gaming and streaming. This is two of us on wired connections. The router sync speed remains stable and does not drop.

I've attached a screenshot showing Speedtest results from yesterday evening for illustration, happy to submit more data.

We've been with TalkTalk for a week, it's been the same from day 1, as mentioned outside of peak times it's great.

There is some history to this which I think is relevant:

We've been on high speed broadband for years with BT or Plusnet with absolutely no issues. In a bid to save some money we moved to Vodafone in September and experienced excactly the same problem that we are currently. Their investigation concluded that until they were able to perform an exchange upgrade there wouldn't be an improvement as it was oversubscribed for their users. They allowed us to leave the contract without penalty due to this.

I thought an alternative provider may be OK so came to TalkTalk after seeing they allowed you to leave within 30 days if the connection wasn't satisfactory. However the issue remains - is there likely anything that can be done or must I return to a BT based service? We are gamers so a reasonable connection is essential for us.

Assistance greatly appreciated, I'd really like to stay with TalkTalk but the massive drop is just unusable for us.

With thanks,

Pye

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Pyewacket
Participant

Thank you for the reply Keith, I can confirm my profile information is complete.

Cheers,

Pye

Community Team

Hi Pyewacket,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Could you run a few more wired speeds at different times of the day and also run a wired ping and trace route when the speed is good and also when the speed drops and post the results into the thread.

We can then pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Pyewacket
Participant

Hello Michelle and thanks for the reply,

I've attached a file with the data requested from regular tests throughout today to illustrate the issue. 

Please let me know if any further information or data is required.

Thank you,

Pye

Community Team

Hi Pye

Thanks for the additional information.

I'm just looking into this further and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Pye

Our Network Team have updated your router firmware version.

They have asked if you can monitor this over the next couple of days. Please can you also run some more speed tests each day using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

Pyewacket
Participant

Hello Debbie,

Many thanks for the quick response and update. 

I'll continue to monitor and post results in a couple of days.

With thanks,

Pye

Community Team
Pyewacket
Participant

Hello Debbie,

Unfortunately our issue remains, last reading taken before sending this down to 2.2mbps! I included a screenshot of this at the bottom of the data table for added effect 🙄

I've attached from the TalkTalk Speedtest over the last couple of days.

Please advise on next steps, with thanks,

Pye

Community Team

Hi Pye,

Thanks for retesting and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds haven't improved. I've passed this back to our Network Team now and asked them to confirm what the next step will be. Could I just confirm, were the recent speed tests completed wired with just the one wired device connected to the line?

As soon as I receive an update back I will let you know.

Thanks

Pyewacket
Participant

Hi Michelle,

The recent tests were conducted mainly from my PC and some from my partners, both wired devices. 

Most were conducted with both PC's on, but not all. We are both home throughout the day so our internet useage is pretty stable throughout - no one is coming home at tea time and downloading the Netflix catalogue!

With thanks,

Selina

Pyewacket
Participant
Just to reiterate from my original post - we have been with BT or Plusnet on high speed for years with absolutely no problems with the same set up. The issue only arose once we moved to Vodafone who identified a limitation at the exchange. Has this information been passed to the network team?

Thanks,
Pye
Pyewacket
Participant

Further to previous comments I've run a test just before I leave for work tonight with only my PC (wired) connected to the router.

Please see attachment for illustration, showing TalkTalk Speedtest, ping and tracert. 

With thanks,

Pye

Pyewacket
Participant
Edit: Screenshot showing iPad connected is erroneous, we did disconnect before the test honest!
Community Team

Hi Pye,

Thanks, I've passed the additional information over now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Pye,

Our Network Team are still unable to identify any potential issue and have suggested we send a fibre engineer to the property to investigate further. Could I just confirm, have you tested with 2 different routers? Would you like us to arrange this engineer visit for you?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Pye,

Update - Please disregard my last post for now as we are still looking into/investigating this. I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Pyewacket
Participant

Thanks for the update Michelle, I'll await further info.

(just to note - I feel an engineer visit to the property would be wasted - performance is perfect outside of peak times - I'll run tests and upload to illustrate this later this afternoon when my partner is at his PC so I can do it when we both have games and a stream running).  

Pyewacket
Participant

Hi Michelle,

As mentioned please see attachment with tests to show everything is perfect outside of peak hours while we're running everything we can think of 😆

With thanks,

Selina