Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Slow sync... Again.

EZTutty
Team Player
Message 35 of 35

3 days ago my Sync Speed read from the Router dropped from 52/20 to 43/16.

I've tried the usual router reboots, the router is the only thing connected directly to the master socket (no extensions).

A bit of history on my issues...

I'm not sure why but a year ago I used to be able to get a solid 64 down, which gradually dropped to the high 40's, an engine came out did various tests and changed a line card which got me to 58 down (still 20 up), over the last 6months it's dropped from 58 to 52 (still 20 up).

And now a sudden drop to 43 down 16 up... The 16 up is strange as I've never seen anything less than 20 up previously.

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 1 of 35

Hi EZTutty

All booked in for Friday 08/10 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 35

I'm available all day this Friday if that's any good?

Message 3 of 35

Hi EZTutty

I'm really sorry about this.

I will need to re book the engineer visit for you. When are you next available for an engineer visit AM and PM?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 35

Hi @EZTutty,

The staff on this community won't be around until Monday now, so you may get faster support by using the live chat or calling customer services on 0345 172 0088 over the weekend, however the staff here should respond to this topic early next week to help if you still need them.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 35

28th Sept, So an engineer Turned up as expected, he did some testing at our house, under various manhole covers over the road and at the green box, he concluded that there is indeed an issue with the line.

He said "his test equipment was showing a 65mb connection at the last manhole next to the Pole (10m away), but still 42mb in the house, he concluded that the issue must be at the junction box on the top of the pole (again... 4th time in 5 years) and that some of the wiring in the ducts was rather shabby."

However at this point he was running out of time and light, so said he would be back at 8am to finish the job.

29th Sept, at 8am i get a text directly from the openreach engineer saying he won't be attending as he's been assigned other jobs, but another engineer would attend later in the day..... No one showed up.

30th Sept, i get a text message from talktalk asking to call a number (03451720050) to arrange a new appointment, which i did, and arranged for the afternoon of the 1st October.

1st Oct, i waited at home again, but no one showed up again.

I tried to call the talktalk number (0345 1720050) again to chase this up or re-arrange (again), but after 1hr and 20mins listening to silly music i gave up.

Can someone look into this as now i've wasted 2 afternoons for no shows.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 35

Hi EZTutty

I have arranged the engineer visit for 28/09 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 35

Yes I accept the potential charges, and someone will be available most afternoons mon-fri.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 35

OK if you can hear noise on the line and would like us to arrange an engineer visit to investigate can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

•  

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 35

I've managed to borrow a handset from a neighbor, and there is a faint hiss and a popping noise on the line.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 35

I'm sorry about this but generally if line tests aren't picking up a fault and the speed is above the guaranteed minimum then Openreach won't see this as a fault even if the speed has been higher in the past.

It would help if you could check your voice service as noise on the line will often also cause problems with the broadband service. If there is noise on the line then we could raise this for investigation 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 35

Ahh the Fob off..... brilliant.

I used to connect at a consistant 54mbs down and 20mbps up (and even this is down on the 62/20 i used to sync at a couple of years ago).

Over a very short period of time (week or 2 at the most) the speed has dropped to 43mbps down and 12mb up, (in the 5+ years i've been with talktalk on this same line i've never seen less than 20mb UP speed).

I don't care what the minimum guaranteed throughput is (especially as talktalk used to say the minimum was 51mbps for my line) the fact is something has happened to the line!

-Openreach have been working in the very same Ducts & Manholes that i Know my connection is routed through,

-There is a corroded junction box at the top of the pole my house is connected to which dispite it being raised twice has not been replaced (recommendation of 2 openreach engineers).

-I've tried a completely different Talktalk Router.

-I'm using the Test Socket as instructed

-I have disconnected the router for around 30 minutes right at the start of this issue.

I'm not sure how many more circles we need to go in before it's accepted that something has happened?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 35

Hi EZTutty,

Thanks for answering the security questions

The sync speed on the 11th and 12th was 48.9Mbps, I can't see any further back than that. Current sync speed is 43.8Mbps. Minimum guaranteed throughput speed is 36.7Mbps

Line tests aren't picking up any issues

Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 35

I've done as requested in the Message.

But ultimately the exercise of checking the estimated speed is pointless as last week I was sync'ed at 54/20 (as I have been for months and there was a sudden unexplained drop to 43/12. Clearly something has happened.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 35

Hi EZTutty

I'm just sending you a Private Message so I can confirm the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 35

I'm not sure I agree with it being in spec for my line...

Screenshot_20210924-092336__01.jpg

 especially considering until a week ago I was getting consistent 54mb/s+ and I've never seen my upload anything less than 20mb/s in the 5+ years ive been with talktalk on this line.

Also clearly the router isn't the problem as a different unit actually made the line worse and it has only got slightly worse since leaving it for the DLM to make adjustments.

Also combined with the fact that I mentioned that openreach have been working in the underground manholes, ducts and cabinet I know I'm connected through/to would suggest something has happened to the line.

Also the corroded junction box on top of the pole that was supposed to be changed by openreach 4 years ago, and then again 2 years ago, but has never been done and talktalk don't care about despite the fact 2 openreach engineers have told me it needs replacing.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 35

Hi EZTutty

I've checked the connection stats this morning and the sync speed has remained at 43.8mb but this does appear to be within the range for your line.

Please can you keep the router powered up and I will check the connection stats again on Monday for any changes.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 35

Hi EZTutty

Great thank you. I will check the connection stats again tomorrow and I will post back on this thread.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 18 of 35

Yep, still in the test socket.

Message 19 of 35

Hi EZTutty

Ok, I was checking that this router was connected at the moment. Is it at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 35

The replacement TalkTalk WiFi Hub You Sent me to try a couple of days ago?

0 Likes