Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sudden drop in broadband speed

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Popular Poster

For the last seven years I've had a pretty regular d/load speed of 5.5 Mbps. Last Sunday this dropped to 2.5. Today I'm getting 2.2. At first I thought it may have been my new Wifi Hub, but my old router shows the same speed. After asking for this to be checked, a tech from TalkTalk  phoned me last night to say that as I am getting a signal there isn't a fault on the line, and since the speed I'm getting (2.2 Mbps) is above your minimum guarantee then I'll have to live with it. Or upgrade to fibre and see if that helps. Nothing has changed at my end, and I was hopeful that I could get back to my 'normal' speed. Instead, it seems I'm expected to keep paying the same money, but accept a service which is barely usable.I would complain, but I know I'll just be told to take fibre. The one ray of sunshine is that my contract with TalkTalk finished a few weeks ago and I haven't gotten around to renewing it, so if there's no improvement this week I'll be free to find a new provider. Disappointed after about seven years though.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Mr Lahey welcome to the community, I'd be a bit teed as well😀  The good news is you are here now so im sure things will improve.

Have you tried a router reboot?

Do you have any noise on your phone line?

What sync speed does your router show? Sorry

if you have answered these a thousand times already.

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear shortly

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mr_Lahey

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've optimised your connection and the sync speed has increased from 2.5 to 3.6mb.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Divsec. My Wifi Hub is showing is showing a current d/load speed of 3.7, upload of 1.0. I rarely use my phone but it sounds ok. And I haven't tried rebooting my router, mainly because both old and new routers showed the same slow speed.There has been a slight increase of about 1.1 Mbps since this morning though.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks Debbie. My router is plugged into my master socket. Should I try the test socket ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Mr Lahey, getting better, @OCE_Debbie is on the case now so I would be guided by her {she knows what she is doing!}

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Popular Poster
Thanks for being so quick to offer help! Hopefully this will work out.
Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Debbie. I've just connected to the Test socket.
Highlighted

Hi Mr_Lahey,

Thanks for confirming this. I've optimised the connection again now. Please let us know how the speed compares now the router is connected at the test socket.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Good morning Michelle. My Wifi Hub is now showing a d/load speed of 4.4 Mbps, giving me about 3.8 over wifi to my laptop.

Highlighted

Hi Mr_Lahey,

The line history is showing periods of very high error count which usually indicates noise/interference, do you have anything connected to your test socket in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris. I only have my router connected. I very rarely ever connect my landline.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Chris - over the last ten days or so I've been swapping between old and new routers/ cables to see if the trouble was there - I don't know if that would count as 'errors'.
Highlighted

Swapping the router will show as disconnections but wouldn't show as errors. Although the error count is intermittently high it's not as bad as it was this time last week (which is as far back as I can see)

Is your router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is the router connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Chris - my router is plugged into it's own wall socket.No other electronic devices nearby.

Highlighted

OK thanks. Can you bump the thread tomorrow morning and we'll check the line history and see how the error count has been. If the error count is still intermittently high then we could try your other router to rule out a router issue causing the high errors

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Thanks for the help Chris. I'll update you tomorrow.
Highlighted