Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk router download speed issue on YouFibre service

TonyF
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I feel a bit cheeky asking this on the TalkTalk forum since I'm no longer with TalkTalk for my broadband - however I was with them from the beginning of TalkTalk (2003?) up until 2020 so that should count for something.

I'm now with YouFibre (FTTP) on a 500/500Mbps service but am having an issue with download speeds on Windows 10 with my TalkTalk router - speed tests with ethernet connection (Cat6) straight from router:

Sagemcom FAST 5364 Router (*)   Eero B010001 Router (**)
Windows 10 – download (Mbps)         100 (***)                                                   516
Windows 10 – upload (Mbps)                522                                                               520

Ubuntu 20.04.3 – download (Mbps)  501                                                            511
Ubuntu 20.04.3 – upload (Mbps)        474                                                           492

Tests were done with the Ookla desktop app on Windows 10 and with speedtest-cli run from a terminal on Ubuntu.
* firmware version SG4K10002816t
** supplied by YouFibre
*** can vary between 60 to 150Mbps - other speeds only vary by a few Mbps

I would prefer to keep using the TalkTalk router due to:
- better wi-fi coverage
- it has 4 (+ WAN) ports whereas the Eero only has 2 and I need at least 3 + WAN
- the Eero uses 192.168.0.* (can't be changed) as opposed to 192.168.1.* so I would need to make quite a few changes to the various devices on my network (and of course devices wi-fi settings)

- the Eero uses a phone app rather than a browser for settings - I hate phone apps.

Can anyone advise what, if any, settings can be changed to rectify this issue or could it be that the TalkTalk router is somehow locked down to a maximum download speed - but how to explain the linux speed then?

TIA for any help in getting to the bottom of this.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hello,

Have you tried using the eero Support Community?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, tried doing a factory reset but download speed with TalkTalk router is still the same (i.e between 60 to 150Mbps).

I may have to bite the bullet and use a 5 port switch with the Eero.

Thanks,

Tony

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Tony,

Have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings? If not then it's probably worth a try

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

It does indeed show 1 Gbps link speed - the interesting (frustrating) part is that the Eero router can meet the full download speed with exact same configuration.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @TonyF,

On Windows 10 try Task Manager > Performance Tab > Ethernet > Right-click the graph and select View Network Details.

What does it list as the link speed ? Is it correctly showing it as a 1 Gbps link ?

0 Likes