cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Totally sick of the slow upload speed and the unhelpful support team.

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

yes I am using all the new cables and micro filter and I am still connected directly to the test port in the master socket. I have just done another speed test and nothing has changed.

R tideswell
Community Team

Hi eattheliving,

Thanks for confirming this. I've asked our Network Team to take a look at this and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

thanks for the response. I don’t suppose you could push this along as I have been having this issue for over a month now with no sign of any fix.

Also, do you want me to send back my old router?

thanks again

R tideswell
Community Team

Hi eattheliving,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Our Network Team have looked into this and can't see any issues that would be limiting the upload throughput speed and advised that the sync speed also looks ok and all tests are clear.. They have asked if we can confirm that when you ran the speed tests on the 2 different devices, were both of the devices connected wired?

They also asked that when the speed tests were completed if only the one device was connected to the line with no other applications running at the same time? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can let our Network Team know and confirm what the next step will be.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi,

Apologies I also forgot to add, would it be possible to keep hold of both the routers for now while we are still looking into the slow throughput speed.

Thanks

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

well we have some improvement. I have attached a single wired laptop to the router and found that the upload speed jumped to 15.5mbps. I have also just attached another wired single device to the router and got an upload of circa 18 mbps. The download speed has always been fine. I then attached the other devices via a network switch and the upload speed then plummets to around the 2mbps. 

Any ideas on a solution as I need all my devices connected and as I said before the upload speed was around the 12mbps which I would like to get back too.

And yes I will hold onto both routers for the moment.

R tideswell
Community Team

Hi eattheliving,

Thanks for the additional information and I'm glad to hear that the upload speed has improved. Unfortunately we are not able to provide assistance in regards to a network switch. @KeithFrench - would you be able to offer any advice in regards to this?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Michelle has asked me to help you, I haven't got much time today to read through this, but what make/model of network switch are you using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi Keith/Michelle,

Sorry for the late response. I haven’t been at home for a couple of days.

Anyway the original switch I was using was a TPlink 16 port. Model number TL-SF1016D. This morning I have swapped this out to a netgear switch and ran the tests. Nothing has changed. The download speed is fine but the upload is around the 2mbps.

I still believe something has changed from talktalk end and not from my networks point. How can my upload speed be around 12mbps one minute then drop to around 2mbps? Could there be a setting on the router itself restricting the upload speed unless there is only 1 device connected?

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

Is this a Windows PC? If so please enter this PowerShell cmdlet when connected via the switch:-

Get-NetAdapter | ft Name, Status, Linkspeed, macaddress, fullduplex

Then paste the results in your reply.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi mate,

results are below.

name       Status       LinkSpeed MacAddress        fullduplex

----       ------       --------- ----------        ----------

Ethernet   Up           100 Mbps  D8-50-E6-4E-CD-AC       True

Ethernet 3 Disconnected 100 Mbps  00-FF-A1-58-C6-A9       True

Ethernet 2 Disconnected 100 Mbps  00-FF-99-69-88-68       True

Ethernet 4 Disconnected 1 Gbps    00-FF-78-12-0F-59       True

also just for info. If I leave devices connected to the router but unplug the switch then my upload speed returns to th 12 mbps plug the switch back in and it drops again.

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

I can't see any mention of the make/model of router that you are now using, it is probably irrelevant, but some have better Ethernet statistic reports than others. Have you tried a different good quality Ethernet cable between the switch port and the router port? 

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi mate,

i swapped the tp link for a blue netgear 8 port switch and yes I have swapped out the cable from the router to the switch. Like I said it’s weird how a few weeks ago I didn’t have any issues. Then I started having upload speed issues.

This happened once before but rectified itself after a couple of days and when the engineer came out he couldn’t see any issues. 

Do you know if there is any settings within the router that could restrict the number of devices connected and upload speeds?

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said in my previous post I do not know which router you have.

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player

Sorry mate. Misread ur post. I have the sagemcom fast 5364-3.t8

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

This router & presumably your PC are both capable of running at 1Gbps over the LAN ports, but your switch will restrict that to 100Mbps anyway. What Ethernet cables are you using Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6?

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player

Yes and yes mate. I’m using cat5e cable to the pc, but I have a device connected directly to the router using rj 45 cable and this one also shows reduced upload speeds. It also doesn’t explain why I get reduced upload speeds on WiFi as well?

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

Nobody mentioned reduced WiFi upload speeds, I was led to believe this was only a problem when this Ethernet switch was connected, or are you now saying that the WiFi is only slow when the switch is connected?

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player

It affects both mate.

Wired and WiFi upload speeds reduce when the switch is plugged in.

Also the tplink switch I took out was capable of 1gbt.

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

Well this next bit has to be a bit of a guess, because you have an unmanaged switch & the hub does not display such information except via the system log, which has bugs in it currently. You should be using a Cat6 cable in a Gigabit interface, maybe using a Cat5e the interface is flapping up & down & this is causing the router to use up a lot of its processing power trying to handle this.

Keith