cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Totally sick of the slow upload speed and the unhelpful support team.

eattheliving
Team Player

Could be possible.

What I will do later is plug my gbit switch into the router and only connect devices to the switch using rj45 cables. Would this give us an idea if it is the cat5e cabling?

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

Is the Gigabit switch you mention the Netgear one, if so as that exhibited similar problems Cat 6 cabling could well be needed.

Gigabit is a bit unpredictable in so much as some people get away with Cat5e, whilst others need Cat6. You might expect that to be the case with perhaps longer cable runs needing Cat6 & the shorter ones can get away with Cat5e. However, more & more I am seeing cases with the hub where Cat6 resolves all sorts of weird problems. This is not a criticism aimed at the hub, as Cat6 is the specified cable type for Gigabit.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

eattheliving
Team Player

Sorry mate the switch I’m going to use is the tplink which has a 1000 mbps on it. Like I say I’m not even going to connect using cat5e but only the rj45 cables.

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

RJ45 is the specification of the connector only, not the cable type. Both Cat5e & Cat6 use RJ45 connectors.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

eattheliving
Team Player

Got u mate. The cables I will use are the ones supplied with the 2 routers I currently have.

R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

Don't rely on them being Cat6 just because they were supplied with the router, always best to check first.

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player
Will do mate. Will check in about half an hour.
R tideswell
KeithFrench
Community Star

A very quick guide I found on the net, not the official spec, but makes sensible reading:-

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-pick-the-right-cables-for-your-home-network/

Keith

eattheliving
Team Player

Well this is weird. Got up this morning and checked the upload speeds and they have returned to 18mbps. It’s weird because I haven’t changed anything to my network or switch etc. 

My wired connection speeds are: 73.60 mbps download and 18.34 mbps upload.

wireless is: 70mbps download and 18.70 mbps upload.

As I have said this has happened before and it has corrected itself as this appears to have done. Both have happened on a Sunday..coincidentally.

i will monitor over the next few days and see how it goes.

R tideswell
Community Team

Hi eattheliving,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the speed compares over the next few days 🙂

Thanks

eattheliving
Team Player

Hi all,

I have been monitoring the speeds all week and they have been great. So once again I am happy.

My only worry is that it re occurs later seeing as nothing has been changed on my side and also it's weird how it seems to rectify itself on a Sunday as this is the second time it’s happened.

Anyway a big thanks to Michelle and Keith for your help.

R tideswell
Community Team

Hi

Glad to hear the speeds are looking better.

If anything does change, get back in touch and our team will help.

Thanks

Karl.