Did you mean: 
Need help?

Two routers setup??

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
ehazard
Popular Poster

Hello everyone

I am trying to make a setup in my home to have two separate routers with their own SSID and for them not to be able to see each other's devices/files/printers. I was wondering if there is a charge for me to connect two separate routers on two different sockets - my Pre-filtered master socket will have the HG633 by talktalk and a standard phone line socket will have the DSL-3680 also by talktalk. Does this set up charge extra? My phone is connected with the Pre-filtered master socket, next to my router.

Also, my DSL-3680 doesn't seem to work.  I connected it to all my available sockets and the ADSL light doesn't come up, even when I connect it to my Pre-filtered master socket. It worked before. Maybe I need to reset it again? When I reset it, it changes the 'connect' section to 01warehouse@talktalk.net . I changed this to the one that was before (phonenumber@talktalk.net) I reset it, but maybe the password changed?

Any help appreciated,

@ehazard

@ehazard
martswain
Philosopher

You cannot have two routers on one line.

Are you on fibre or adsl ?

The DSL-3680, I believe, is NOT fibre compatible.

You could set up the 3680 as a wireless access point, but would would need to connect it directly to the 633 by LAN cable or powerline adapters, NOT to an ordinary phone extension.

Martin
ehazard
Popular Poster
Hi there, how would I do this? I am on ADSL. Thankss
@ehazard
martswain
Philosopher
Solution

Firstly, make sure that the router you plan to use as an access point (AP) actually works !

Log in to the HG633 interface (192.168.1.1) using the details printed on the router, watch out, it's not the WiFi password.

Change the DHCP Server Start IP Address to 192.168.1.8 and SAVE the change.

Log out

Disconnect from the HG633.

The next step is best done by connecting the router you wish to use as the AP to a computer using a LAN cable.

Log into the AP interface, probably 192.168.1.1 again, using the appropriate username and password.

Disable the DHCP server 

Set a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2

Make sure you SAVE the changes.

Take a note of the WiFi SSID name.

Logout.

Now, connect the AP to the main router with a LAN cable, using the yellow LAN sockets on both.

Internet will be available on all LAN sockets not now in use.

You should now be able to connect to the HG633 and AP SSIDs, the only issue now is to make sure that the 2.4 Ghz WiFi channels are NOT the same, use channels 1, 6 or 11

Channel selection also depends on your local WiFi environment, using a free WiFi analyser can help you select the best.

If I have gone wrong, I am sure @KeithFrench will put it right.

Martin
KeithFrench
Community Star

You should also put the router that you want to use as an AP into bridge mode & let the HG633 do the routing.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ehazard
Popular Poster

Hi @martswain 

Thanks for your awesome guide. I will try this tomorrow when I have som e free time with the main router. I just need to ask some questions, 

• why change the start range to 192.168.1.8? Would setting it to, for example, 192.168.1.100 still have the same result?
  • for the 2.4Ghz channels, would it be ok to leave my HG633 on Auto and set the other one on Chnl11?
  • also, why do the channels need to be different? I get that they will cause slowdowns and interference, but how severe would it really be? (I’m assuming lots, because they are both going to be put around the same place)

once again, many thanks for your help! I will try and let you know by the end of tomorrow on how this goes. 

@ehazard
ehazard
Popular Poster
Where would I change this? And would the default settings be fine? I am using a DSL-8360 as an AP. Thanks once again
@ehazard
KeithFrench
Community Star

The channels need to be different (you can only use 1, 6 or 11), otherwise, you will get co-channel interference which will slow down access to the WiFi medium. Without using a WiFi analyser you are also risking adjacent channel interference which will kill your speed.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

martswain
Philosopher

@KeithFrench 

I found with the old routers I used as APs just disabling the DHCP server and having a fixed IP address outwith the DHCP range of the actual router worked fine.

@ehazard 

As long as the AP IP address is OUTWITH the router allocation range all will be fine.

Martin