would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Universal Service Obligation

ANSWERED
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Enlightened One

Just surfing the community and came across the topic Universal Service Obligation  in one thread.  I must admit I hadn't heard of that (no surprise there).

If I read correctly this means everyone should get 10 mb / 1 mb next year.  Does this apply to standard broadband or for upgrading to FTTC?

I would look forward to increasing mine from around 2.5 / 0.6, but doubt it would particularly change my life.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Dave

Ofcom are the source of information so have a look here at Your right to request a decent broadband service.

Just to clarify that if you're using a Fast Broadband service (ADSL) that doesn't deliver at least 10Mbps downstream but you do have access to a Faster Broadband VDSL - FTTC or Superfast Broadband service delivering over 10Mbps downstream then Ofcom would expect you to opt for the already available FTTC service.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@Gondola   I read that before posting.  Not sure I it understand fully.  I can get 20+ if I pay for fibre, but don't need it.  I suspect there are only 2 or 3 on our road who don't have fibre so maybe wouldn't get the upgrade within the 3.4K limit.

And you seem to have edited your reply before I replied.  Guess the answer is pay up or?

OK I'll shut up .

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi Dave

If you or your neighbours have access to an existing network offering 20Mbps then, as I clarified, you'd not qualify for the USO being introduced by Ofcom if you can take an FTTC service. It'll depend then on Openreach capacity for the FTTC service being available to you.

I can't recall if we've discussed this before but have you Checked Fibre Availability recently?

Highlighted
Enlightened One

thanks for clarification.  Fully understood now so I'll be sticking with what I have until I'm forced to pay more for something I don't want.

Community Star

Hi Dave

Ofcom is on your side as they're already price capping the wholesale price of the Openreach 40/10 product (TalkTalk's Faster Fibre up to 38Mbps product).  A further price reduction due in April 2020 will make TalkTalk's mantra of Fairer Fibre for Everyone come true with affordable fibre being available.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

BB is very affordable, even cheap, whatever anyone might say.  I'm sure my quarterly phone bill was more 20 years ago than I pay For BB & calls.  I just don't want to pay extra for something I won't use.