Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unknow device on my network

ANSWERED
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Doing a system check it showed 3 devices not working properly. One of these was Roku but as far as I know I do not have any devices that use this service. I have one Samsung smart tv, two Nowtv boxes, two TT tv boxes and two soundbars. All except the tv showing as working correctly, this is connected by wifi. Apart from these I have various google play music and radio apps.

How can I identify what is registered as the Roku device.

Highlighted
Community Star

Normally, you need to look at the MAC address. Please can you include screenshot from the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Sorry Keith can find out list of connected devices by ISP address but cannot find any instructions on the forum for finding mac addresses.

Are the ISP addresses any help and is it safe to post these.

Disconnected two devices as last night and I system check today only shows 7 device as at 12pm last night. Router showed 9 without the 2 disconnected ones. Of the 4 without names and only showing ip address I can identify 2 as soundbars but cannot assess the other two ISP's.

I am only aware of 10 devices I own.

Took screen shots of both system and router pages but they saved as photos which I cannot attach here.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Funny things happening, just logged into router again and now showing 10 devices which is the number I have. No mention of a Roku device. Still two devices with only ISP numbers which I don't know what they refer to.

Would still like to know how to find mac addresses if you don't mind, may help others as well.

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Solution

FWIW - NowTV sticks quite often identify themselves as "Roku" (at least mine did) - common ancestry ?

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Could well be just intrigued by 11th device, may be signing in to Now to upgrade passes registered as a device.

Thanks for help.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

And another FWIW - mine occasionally acted as an identifable AP and put out an SSID with Roku in the name (but that never caused any issues), and you can't successfully link to it. Much in the same way as FireSticks do.

Check your local wifi signals and you may see the SSID sometimes.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @JA593 

You can attach photos, you use the Insert Photos icon on the editor's toolbar (camera icon). Then I can tell you how to find the MAC addresses.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Keith 

Sorry obviously not very good at this. Hope these are ok.Screenshot_20200207-154150_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200207-153255_Chrome.jpg

Highlighted
Community Star

In future, please can you ensure that any images are set to "Large", as yours are all far too small. Although I can enlarge them, the text goes out of focus.

OK, moving on from that, once logged into the router, go to:-

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage advanced settings

The connected devices are shown in the red boxes below. Click on the device name to manage it & view the MAC addresses. Then compare these to the MAC addresses of all of your devices. Hopefully, this might help you identify the rogue device.

Keith

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Keith 

Thanks got there in the end. Disconnected everything and found that the Now boxes also seem to show as Roku if not working well on wifi. If working ok  they show as Now only.

Named all attached devices with friendly names whilst at it.

Thanks again

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JA593

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Keith - Thanks for your help.

Debbie 🙂