Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted new modem/router

Netgearman
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 11

Like many others I recently received an unsolicited new modem/router along with emails and letters with instructions to connect it and "return your old router in the returns bag provided".

First of all I have never had a use for the previous router, as far as I know it's still in its original packaging "somewhere" in the house. As my username suggest I've been using a privately purchased Netgear router ever since I was with AOL.

Also no such "returns bag" was included with the new router, only the single-use wrapper it was delivered in.

I have tried the new router and found it does not work very well with my particular setup despite hours of trying all the fixes suggested in this forum. I can browse the internet but not much else so I would prefer to keep using my Netgear for as long as possible.

Unfortunately it cannot do VDSL but as this entire estate is scheduled for demolition in the next few months and the remaining tenants rehoused elsewhere that may turn out to be a moot point.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately this is not something that we can specifically assist with but one of our members may be able to offer some advice.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Michelle,

Connection is fine thank you, I'm getting much faster speeds with VDSL than with ADSL but I'm now having to use a separate browser and proxy server to view the output of my webserver as the Huawei redirects all local queries to the router home page.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Netgearman
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 11

It's working now, sort of. I'm not able to view or edit my message board directly due to a known limitation of the Huawei router but other people can. It's just as well as the line was switched from ADSL to VDSL just after midday today without any warning.

0 Likes

Netgearman
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 11

I did the factory reset on the HG635 and also the HG633 for good measure, it made no difference to either. Port 80 is blocked, nothing I do can unblock it. (Changing the port number didn't help either). I can connect to the internet but nobody can connect to me. Browsing works, email works, IRC works (surprisingly), even DDNS works (albeit using a separate DDNS client). Webserver doesn't work despite the Huawei having a dedicated setting called 'Webserver' and that is my main use for the internet.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Netgearman

Please can you factory reset the HG635 router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then connect to this router again?

0 Likes

Netgearman
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 11

Hi Debbie,

No, nothing to do with work or VPN. It's a desktop PC running a phpBB message board for family and friends. I've read and followed all the guides on port forwarding etc but none allow me or anyone else to connect to the webserver via the internet whereas my old Netgear router does. I have a new (VDSL-compliant) Netgear router on order but they're out of stock at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi Netgearman

Just to confirm, when you say webserver, do you mean a work VPN client?

0 Likes

Netgearman
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 11

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately since then I've received an email telling me an Openreach engineer will call "within the next two weeks" to schedule an upgrade to the line and telling me to connect the new router which as I have already said does not work with my particular setup. I actually now have two Talk Talk-supplied Huawei routers - a HG633 and HG635, neither of which allow me to access my webserver.

Also this property is still scheduled for demolition and I will be moving as soon as a suitable new place is found. (I've already started packing).

Can you please cancel the engineer's visit and also send me a DSL3782 or similar router which I'm told will work with my webserver along with return bags for the two unwanted routers?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi

If you expect to be moving in the next few months, then I'd just keep using your existing router.  No upgrade will happen to your line and you can look at a fibre service when you have relocated.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE