cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

VPN MODEM/ROUTER

6 REPLIES 6

I have a WIFI hub that gets around 30mb down load and 9mb upload. We make alot of use of internet based TV and at night there are around 4 different TV set boxes running. These are all hard wired via means of a powerlink system however can run on WiFi. 

It seems we get alot of buffering issues/lag so I've wondered wether a new more powerful modem/router that can run a vpn would be a solution to better internet experiences.....

If this would be the case what would be a good purchase? Currently been looking at a Linksys WRT32X

KeithFrench
Community Star

The WiFi hub fully supports VPNs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

It supports vpn devices but doesn't allow a vpn on its self I'm told

martswain
Philosopher

Just watching BBC iPlayer in a browser window on a laptop seems to require an average of 7 Mbps right now.

SKY GO is occasionally maxing-out my 32 Mbps connection just using a laptop.

With your speed of 30, that may just be enough for 4 relatively low resolution streams so some buffering is not unexpected.

As for using a VPN, as your connection then goes through a third party, I would not expect anything but a slightly slower speed.

Martin
KeithFrench
Community Star

Where a router can be a VPN client, that encrypts everything from the router to the VPN server of your choice. Is this more secure than using VPN clients on each of your devices - no.

With the routere as the VPN client, your WiFi network is not part of the encrypted tunnel, which is the most insecure part of your network.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Keith, no but if I have a vpn on each device I can't make use of WiFi control apps as each device becomes a different IP.

My understanding that a router running a vpn will make every device safe that uses the router to connect to the internet. At least how it's sold by some of the top vpn companies like Nordvpn etc
KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said before, if the router is the VPN client, then the encrypted tunnel runs from there to the VPN server, leaving the WiFi unprotected. To be honest I don't think that is really giving you much extra protection over & above what the operating system/security suite/applications may offer.

Your router, your security, your money, your choice. I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the disadvantages of using a router as a VPN client.

Keith