cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

VPN connection for work speed is terrible and constantly below standard

22 REPLIES 22
Participant

I have been struggling since we joined Talk Talk to work from home properly in terms of broadband speed. The speed issue is highlighted at the most important times during my working day when i want to share my screen and show documents to clients. The signal goes to poor and the people on the line start asking why am i not scrolling when i am and the sound quality on the Skype call starts to break. I normally stop sharing and re-share lots of times to get through but a lot of the time it ends up with me having to go into the office to gain enough speed to do this. I am tired of the poor signal as i want to continue working from home and this needs sorted as it is not good enough! Screen shot attached shows what my speed test is like anytime i test it when logged through VPN. It matches what i am experiencing! Poor! Surely this is not acceptable?! I expect some immediate response to get this sorted as my manager is asking me to work in the office until it is and i am not happy with how this is affecting my working from home. Thanks

Monika
Community Star

Hi Monica, what speeds does your contract promise?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mikam,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've optimised the connection just in case the SNR is dropping too low as this can sometimes affect the performance of the connection. The SNR has now increased, please let us know how the connection compares over the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Participant
Still terrible and same results this morning on vpn speedtest but will give it more time and check again.
Monika

Hi Mikam,

Thanks for retesting. Does this affect wired and wireless speeds?

Thanks

Participant

Yes i have tested there now with the cable in and attached the results today of modem, our extender and cable. None are giving good enough readings.

Monika

Hi Mikam,

Could you run some speed tests on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

Could you run a couple of test while connected to the VPN and couple when not connected to the VPN - please leave at least 10 minutes between test

Thanks

Chris

Participant

Tried cable test using your link a few times same response attached. My workplace must have firewall blocking it.

Monika

Hi Mikam,

Thanks for the update. The line test is clear. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to see how the speed and connection compares?

Thanks

Participant

I am working in the office today but will check with cable on my own laptop at home later. I know the download increased last time i checked but the upload i believe was still below 1 when non vpn speed test was run. I will run it later tonight and send screenshot thanks.

Monika

Hi Mikam,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the speed compares.

Thanks

Participant

Here are the results of non VPN tests on my own private laptop this morning.

Monika

Hi Mikam,

What sort of speed test results do you get over you VPN on 3rd party speed testers?

Chris

Participant

Hi Chris, I have attached the results through VPN in my first post.

Thanks

Monika

OK thanks. Have you discussed the slow VPN throughput speeds with your work IT department to see if they have any suggestions?

Chris

Participant
Hi, i have talked to my IT team and there is nothing specific in our company setup. A lot of people are uaing it to work from home with no issues. To be honest my problems started when we switched providers to TalkTalk last year. You could see my earlier threads when we couldn't even connect at all and im not happy with the service we are receiving ever since. 
Monika

Hi Mikam,

Do you have another router you can test with?

Chris

Participant
8.2 minimum guaranteed speed. Which isn't achieved through vpn at all. Nowhere near.
Monika

Hi

Can you log into the router and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8  &  8.8.4.4 and see if this changes anything.

Also, as Chris asked, do you have access to another router for testing ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Participant

Can you send me a screenshot of the location for updating the DNS? i am logged in ok but cannot find it.

Monika