Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN service on HG633 router How to?

Bobaitch
Participant
Message 28 of 28

Hello, Looking to configure vpn service on my HG633 router, most of posts I've read don't answer the question directly, just seem to hover around the subject The Hg633 is running 

Hardware versionH.1.01 

Software versionv2.00t
any help much appreciated

Aitch
Aitch
0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28
@Aitch, I understand your angriness, as I was fighting with their support for 2 days - just to turn off Scam Protection they've turned on without my permission (again!). It's surprising that I, a non-native English speaker (or I would even say - learner) can clearly understand your problem when they, "technical support", can't. The problem is that they are not experts in the field. They are even not at "advanced user" level. All they do is reading out "scripts".

I had a similar problem to you and ended up adding another router which supports VPN. I'm pretty sure I've seen some VPN settings in one of my TalkTalk router (or in a particular firmware version), but can't find it now. I also see no reason for blocking such a feature. TalkTalk is the worst ISP I had ever use and I can't wait for my contract to expire.
Regards, Marcin
0 Likes

Message 2 of 28
My pleasure Aitch, if you do buy a standalone router look for DD-WRT in the spec.
I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

@Divsec

Hello,  Many thanks for your answer ! 

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 4 of 28
Hi Aitch, simple answer, you can't run a VPN on an isp router. You can run it through but not on.
I have nordvpn and an Asus router, I have a VPN client on the Asus router and all my devices can go through VPN in this way. It still has an overhead of around 15% so I don't use it too often but for your device, it should be good.
I hope this does answer your question.
I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 5 of 28

Hey, 

Thanks for clarifying that, no it's not possible and something we can't support.

Thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hello  Stephen   It appears you misunderstand, it is the HG633 router I wish to connect to the vpn service ! NOT the devices, yes I agree, should I wish to connect a single or multiple devices via  vpn clients or app there is not a problem, this has never been the issue, all I am asking is, how do I connect the HG633 router to a VPN service, so all my houshold is secure and data encrypted ? why are you all so hung up on what the device is? why should this matter? you all, it appears simply ignore most of the questions I have asked  and focus on what you want to answer, please read my posts all the information the questions  I have asked is in them, To make it crystal clear, I WISH TO CONNECT THE HG633 ROUTER TO MY VPN SERVICE, (WHOEVER I CHOOSE)  IS THIS POSSIBLE OR NOT ? 

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Hey @Bobaitch,

We and Gondola have asked for details about which device your trying to use and experiencing an issue with until this information is provided it will be impossible for us to troubleshoot any further. From reading the discussion it sounds like you've got it working on some but not others, again unless we know the details about what isn't working we're unable to help further. 

If you'd like to provide details of which device isn't working as you expect we'd be happy to help as best we can. 

Regards 

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

I still cannot connect devices to my ISP provided router that have no app or vpn client, securely or data encrypted, the fact remains, throughout all of this talktalk have provided no help regarding this issue, I have had to work around the issue and find a solution myself ! Talking to talktalk technical is no use either, they provide little or no help on the subject ! WONDER WHY? Im seriously now going to look at my options as regards where I spend my money, it appears it is impossible to have a secure encrypted remote data conection with the talktalk service I pay for the way I wish

Many thanks for the suggestions presented on here, I simply have no more time to spend on talktalk............oh, and please no more good boy badges! 

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

@Bobaitch wrote:...I can also connect to a vpn service through another router attached to my hg633 but why should I have to do this?

Which proves conclusively that the HG633 router, configured as supplied, does pass through the VPN protocol.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

No real answers yet but hey, I have managed to collect a whole load of badges :-} lol

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hello Gondola

No not a Kodi box or Raspberry pie, I pay talktalk at the minute for my sports and entertainment streams, the issue is not what a device is, its more about why I am unable to connect the router to a vpn service to provide me with the security and encryption of data I require, If I choose to do so ! As stated, I have other routers that are able to connect to vpns in various protocols, its all straightforward stuff on these routers, the HG633 is dummbed down that much it is unconfigurable to do what i wish to do, why would you hide parental controls? and more, Its a simple question I have asked !

I can also connect to a vpn service through another router attached to my hg633 but why should I have to do this? 

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Bob

What device do you wish to connect to a VPN? And what VPN protocol does it use. You've not said.

If it's a Kodi Box or Raspberry Pi for example then have a look at the advice on the PureVPN website.  The HG633 router will pass through the VPN connection for standard VPN protocols. It does not require configuring. If the VPN requires a particular MTU setting then that can be done.

If you wish to have a router that runs the VPN client software then that's possible with a router that runs DD-WRT firmware.  Here's the PureVPN advice on that.  The TalkTalk routers are not designed for VPN add-on applets.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 13 of 28

Hello Chris            

Thanks for your reply,  yes, I can connect to a vpn service with a vpn client, the issue I face is the device I wish to connect has. no client, or GUI, as previously stated, it is simple to connect other routers I own to a vpn service without using any client or app!  Why is this not the case with the HG633? Please pass on to someone who can help with this issue if you cannot 

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Hi Bobaitch,

If you're running a VPN client on one of your devices then it should just work without needing to configure the router, if you're trying to do something else can you explain exactly what you are trying to do (to be honest if this is the case I'm probably not going to be able to help directly but I may be able to pass this on to someone who can offer some advice).

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Hello Michelle, you and others dont appear to be reading my posts, nor is anyone answering my questions ! Just feel like I'm getting fobbed off again by Talktalk! My contract is about to end, I've simply had enough of the total lack of support being offered here and everywhere else when there is a problem! Please read my posts and address the issues I have, if you are unable or unwilling to answer them please say so and pass this on to someone who can really help!  When you send another router to me, how will I configure it to use the VPN service, where in the hg633 router are the settings to allow me to do this, are they hidden somewhere like the parental control?

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Hi Bobaitch,

I'm not sure why this isn't working as this should work fine with the HG633 router. The only option we have is to send another HG633 router to rule out any issues with the current router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Bump !

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Ok Debbie, please answer my questions, I do not need another router, I can configure apps to work and connect them to the VPN service, the device I wish to connect has no app or GUI !

Aitch
0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Hi Bobaitch

You shouldn't need to configure the HG633 router to use the VPN connection, this should just work.

I can send another HG633 router for testing to rule out any issues with your current HG633 router, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

Hello Debbie

I am familiar with the setup of apps on windows and other devices, however, it is the router its self I wish to configure to use with a vpn service, is this possible ? and, if not ,why not? Other routers I have are capable of this, is it possible to use a different router with your service? unfortunately the old "switch it off and back on again"  or "re set it" isnt going to work, does the HG663 router have a hidden menu page for vpn configuration, like the parental control?  

Aitch
0 Likes