Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Very poor broadband service

34 REPLIES 34
broadband5
Team Player

My broadband is dropping off all the time and is virtually unusable. I've tried live chatting with you but get no sense. Keep getting told that you are working on my problem but nothing else and sick of repeating everything to each advisor.

Do not know if this is the correct page but can't find anything else.

Other ISP's are starting to look attractive. 

Community Team

Hi broadband5

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test hasn't detected any faults. Is your router currently switched on?

Thanks

Debbie

broadband5
Team Player
Good morning Debbie,
I don't leave the router on when I'm not on the internet, I have no other use for it.
I will leave it on for the rest of today to give you a chance to reply.
kindest regards,
Andrea
Community Team

Hi broadband5

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to leave the router switched on so we can check the connection logs for re connections?

Does the connection drop when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Debbie

broadband5
Team Player
Hello Debbie,
Yes I'll leave the router on all day if required.
I have a wired connection and do not use wireless at all.
regards,
Andrea
Community Team

Hi Andrea,

Do the lights change on your router when the connection appears to drop?

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
Hello,
No, not usually. Occasionally the "internet" light goes off.
Andrea
Community Team

OK thanks, do you get an error message on your PC/laptop, when the connection appear to drop?

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
When the connection simply stops working, refreshing the screen gets "page not found" message.
Restart the pc and router and it sometimes comes straight back on. Other times I just forget it and come back later.
regards,
Andrea

Community Team

Hi Andrea,

Do you have more than one devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable?

Are you using powerline adapters (home plugs) or just an Ethernet cable?

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
Hello Chris,
I only have the pc plugged directly into the router with a new ethernet cable. Nothing else.
Telephone pole to house cable and master socket have been replaced recently by Openreach.
regards,
Andrea
Community Team

OK thanks. I've checked the line history and your router appears to be switched off most of the time, would you be able to leave it on for the next few days so that we can see how the connection is holding up of an extended period of time

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
Chris,
I'll leave it on during the day but see absolutely no point in leaving it on all the time when it is not in use.
The connection drops several times every time I use it, at any time during the day, so you should have no problems finding any problems
with the line during that time frame.
regards,
Andrea
Community Team

Hi Andrea,

All I can see from the line history is no data for most of the week as the router has been switched off. It's really difficult to see what's going on with your connection if you keep switching the router on and off. I can't tell if the connection has dropped or you've just switched the router off

It would be much better if could leave the router on all the time for the next few days so the we can monitor disconnections and errors at different time of day

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
Hello Chris,
I'll leave the router switched on until the weekend or you get back to me, whichever is the first.
regards,
Andrea
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Andrea,

I've taken a look at your line history for the last few days and your signal to noise ratio (SNR) is fluctuating which indicating noise/interference on your line

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, such as noise on the line?

Chris

broadband5
Team Player
Hello Chris,
I have a newly fitted master socket with one extension run from that.
I have a phone and a broadband filter plugged into each of these lines.
I do not have any other devices and have no problems with the telephone line, no buzzing or crackling.
regards,
Andrea
Community Team

Hi Andrea

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to connect the router, phone and filter directly at the test socket for 48hrs so we can see how the connection compares in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

broadband5
Team Player
Hello Debbie,
Ok I'll do that now.
regards,
Andrea